Director of Engineering, Infrastructure - Quip
Products and Technology
- Slack is looking for an Engineering Director to join our Infrastructure team. This team, comprised of some of the most senior engineers, is part of the Quip Platform group and is responsible for designing, building and maintaining the key pieces of backend infrastructure that provide the foundation of Quip’s productivity and collaboration features.
- This person’s main responsibilities are guiding and supporting the team in tackling the most impactful projects; understanding and supporting engineering managers and engineers in their career development and growth; and balance overall project priorities, team morale, technical debt, and customer needs.
- Slack enables people all over the world to communicate and collaborate together. Teams of all scales - from the world's largest public companies to the smallest of startups - use Slack to get work done, so we take performance and reliability very seriously. A taste of our scale:
- The average user spends over 10 hours connected and 2.5 hours active in Slack every single day
- 1.5 billion+ messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States
- Every day we see over 10M+ daily active users, over a billion web requests, and 10s of billions of database queries.
- What you will be doing:
- Lead, hire and grow a high-calibre team of Infrastructure and Site Reliability Engineers and Managers.
- Develop Infrastructure, SRE, and Incident Management strategic direction and culture considering reactive and proactive approaches.
- Foster a culture of blame-free incident analysis and learning.
- Identify, prioritize and execute against opportunities to support and enable engineering teams with availability, performance, efficiency, resiliency, change management, incident response.
- Manage and execute a reliability and resiliency roadmap that delivers on tooling and overarching systemic projects that will make the system more resilient and enable SRE and every engineering team to ship more reliably, safely, securely and efficiently.
- Drive large initiatives by collaborating across multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively with direct teams, peers, and upper management.
- Coach and mentor engineers and peers to propagate reliability best practices across engineering as a whole.
- What you should have:
- 5+ years engineering management experience. Prior management of Infrastructure and/or SRE teams is a strong plus.
- Experience concurrently managing multiple teams and managers
- Your technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team.
- Experience interacting with customers, senior executives, and business leads.
- Experience establishing and measuring OKRs or team goals
- A nuanced understanding of diverse and inclusive hiring practices
- Strategic thinking, communication.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable managing multiple and often competing priorities including making and communicating decisions effectively.
- Comfortable with the 10K ft view as well as diving into the details
- Regularly consider business lens and tradeoffs even for deeply technical engineering problems
- Technical and Industry experience.
- 10+ years in software engineering or hands-on site reliability engineering of large-scale, fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Experience operating SaaS software systems in a production environment
- Experience with AWS or other major cloud providers
- Experience with CI/CD, observability
- Experience developing development platforms and services (e.g., microservices, APIs)
- If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
- At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.
- Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce.com and Salesforce.org will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.com or Salesforce.org.
- Salesforce welcomes all.
- Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Your application has been successfully submitted.