Datacenter Engineering Principal Mechanical Engineer - AMER
Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services. The group is responsible for designing, building, and operating Microsoft’s global datacenters; managing the programmatic delivery of our critical infrastructure design, equipment procurement, construction delivery, infrastructure innovation, demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and responsible for all operations needed to run the physical infrastructure. We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data-driven engineering, cost‐effectiveness, and environmental sustainability. We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's 200+ online businesses including Azure, Office 365, Bing, Xbox Live, Skype, and OneDrive. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24x7x365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
Within CO&I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a passionate, high-energy individual to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world’s largest online services.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
Successful candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S.
The Datacenter Engineering Principal Mechanical Engineer will have the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Microsoft’s Global Mechanical Engineering and Building Automation team to understand and develop the datacenter (DC) mechanical and BAS designs from Basis of Design (BOD) to Issue for Construction (IFC) for new DC project buildouts
- Travel to sites, to Factory Witness Testing, vendor interaction in the design process, as well as final commissioning of the installed systems.
- Lead and direct A/E consultants in the design and coordination of the Mech/BAS systems with other disciplines, associated controls and overall cooling methodology for our datacenter builds
- Lead Mechanical and BAS workgroups with representatives from consulting firms along with key stakeholders within Microsoft
- Manage all Mechanical and BAS system designs during the design stages, equipment procurement, bidding, manufacturing, delivery and installation on site. Identify and resolve issues raised by the construction teams and various stakeholders
- Interface closely with internal procurement team, manufacturers and the global and local engineering teams to deliver the Mechanical and BAS solutions needed for each project
- Responsible for specification and drawing development, detailing the sequence of operation for the Mechanical systems and overall drawings and specifications for our Mechanical topology
- Technical review and analysis of lease and colocation datacenter space from external providers for compliance with Microsoft requirements
- Assist the Operations teams with Mechanical and BAS system and equipment strategic improvements, working closely with equipment vendors and suppliers.
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related Mechanical Engineering field
- 10+ years’ experience in consulting engineering with minimum of 5 years’ experience as lead engineer
- 5+ years' of experience dealing with complex mechanical engineering and building automation systems for a critical environment
- Professional Engineer in Mechanical Engineering
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- Detailed understanding of datacenter HVAC cooling systems, cooling equipment selection, plumbing systems, fire protection systems, fuel systems and Building Automation System (BAS) controls. Responsibilities will include overseeing the specification and drawing development detailing all mechanical systems, and overall BAS network topology and communication protocols
- Ability to lead a team of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large datacenter environments
- Ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and maintain high quality standards
- Excellent knowledge of building codes and regulations
- Experience working in high critical environment projects
- Ability to prepare and present using MS Office software packages
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $153,100 and $224,500. At Microsoft, certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work. US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.