Gameplay Technical Animator - Gears of War - The Coalition
The Coalition is a Microsoft first-party development studio located in Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise, and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft’s entertainment platforms and devices.
Our team is comprised of deep creative and technical talent from across our industry and beyond, working cohesively to delight our fan base and pass expectations of what is possible. As a studio, we lead from our values and work together to promote respect and inclusion, a growth mindset, G.R.I.T (Guts, Resourcefulness, Initiative & Tenacity), all while putting our team first. Join us and let’s go far together!
The Coalition is seeking an experienced and motivated Technical Animator, with a proven track record in collaborating with peers to develop and maintain gameplay animation systems. In this position, you are expected to work with our animation systems in UE5 to develop and support workflows that empower animators to achieve our animation quality goals, while also achieving our gameplay responsiveness and behavioral goals. It is important that you have good communication skills and able to collaboratively work with peers.
- Collaborate with peers in the design and implementation of animation state machines, behaviors, and runtime solutions, in a manner that is consistent with studio best practices
- Collaborate with engineers and other technical animators in the creation of animation behavior tools and techniques that allow the building of complex movement systems in a manner that is easily accessible to content creators
- Problem solve in-game animation implementation issues
- Support the animation team with any technical animation issues they may have
- Look for opportunities to improve our animation pipeline and provide solutions for technical animation efficiencies and issues
- Be a positive and creative force in the team, working in a manner that supports and encourages a diverse and inclusive culture
- Must have 3+ years of experience in AAA video game development, with a focus on creating and defining high-quality real-time animation systems
- Real-time engine experience, ideally in UE4 creating animation blueprints
- Experience with Python is a benefit
- Experience with Rigging is a benefit
- Self-motivated, creative problem solver, great communicator
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Passion for the industry and an understanding of industry trends and technologies
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.