Strategic Research Analyst
We are looking for a Strategic Research Analyst to help shape the industry strategy activation for the Growth & Strategy Team within the Industry Solutions organization.
Microsoft is empowering every person and every organization on the planet to do more and achieve more. We are going after three bold ambitions: create more personal computing, reinvent productivity and business processes, and build an intelligent cloud. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day.
As part of our transformation, Industry Solutions will be a key growth accelerator for Microsoft, enabling digital transformation, and improving the customer experience. The Industry Solutions organization at Microsoft is focused on bringing together the best of Microsoft to power a more impactful, industry-focused customer journey.
Within Industry Solutions, the Growth & Strategy team develops growth strategies founded on industry-oriented, customer needs and drives strategic initiatives involving partner strategy and inorganic moves (acquisitions, alliances, and investments).
We currently have an open role for a Strategic Research Analyst to support the Growth & Strategy team, by managing a portfolio of market intelligence projects. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with strong problem-solving skills, analytic capabilities, consulting skills, and an entrepreneurial spirit to work on one of the most significant parts of Microsoft’s business.
In this role, the Strategic Research Analyst will be responsible for a portfolio of market intelligence projects. This includes working closely with our stakeholders to define and frame business problems, construct project plans, conduct market scans for supporting research, interpret results, and develop & socialize insights. As a typical project may rely on several information sources – such as company financials and external secondary research – a successful candidate will be effective in synthesizing multiple types of information to generate insights and develop business recommendations.
- Research, Analysis, & Framing:
- Performs market-based research projects by collecting and interpreting information (e.g., third-party analyst reports, financial statements, stakeholder feedback, expert calls) across our existing business and identifying new spaces for Industry Solutions
- Analyzes and integrates large amounts of internal and external data (both qualitative and quantitative) to develop strategic and actionable insights and recommendations
- Problem Solving & Insight:
- Creates frameworks and methodologies to drive problem solving and insights
- Synthesizes findings into insights across projects, including implications that inform business decisions
- Leverages insights to develop recommendations and seeks to provide thought leadership (e.g., trend identification, implications of competitor moves) around potential future growth opportunities and strategic issues for Microsoft
- Cultivates strong partnerships and working relationships with key stakeholders
- Builds end-to-end storylines, conveys viewpoints through written documents (e.g., memos, reports), and is versatile in designing and conveying compelling presentations
- Communicates and advocates findings, insights, and recommendations to facilitate discussions and decision making
- Project Leadership:
- Contributes to large strategy projects and defines and manages small projects (some of which will be ad-hoc) with guidance as needed
- Manages projects independently and/or in collaboration with teammates
- 2+ years' experience as a consultant in a strategy consulting firm or research firm, with some exposure to the technology space
- Proven high-quality problem solving, outstanding qualitative analytical skills, strategic mindset, and creative thinking paired with hands-on attitude
- Proactive and outcome-oriented team player with a structured and independent way of working and experience in managing projects
- Experience integrating large amounts of internal and external data to develop strategic and actionable insight
- Excellent communications and storytelling skills
- Eager to learn and quickly apply new information and skills
- Ability to deal effectively with ambiguity. complex environments, and working across geographies in an international, multi-cultural environment
- Strong project management and excellent organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree - preferred
Location/Travel: You may be based anywhere in the United States. You can expect limited global travel, 0 – 25%, contingent upon Covid-19 restrictions.
Join us and be one who empowers billions! That’s incredible reach. When you combine that with your own inspiration, plus the freedom and support to make your ideas happen, you can make a huge impact on how people work and live all over the world.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $103,000 and $156,400. At Microsoft, certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.