Identity Embedded Escalation Engineer (EEE)
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.
With over 15,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience and Success (CEnS) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of the Microsoft end-to-end customer experience. This newly expanded organization reflects the Microsoft ambition to be known as a customer experience company, ensuring our Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more is enabled by delighting customers and consistently exceeding their expectations in every interaction through a connected customer experience.
Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to exceed customer expectations and drive greater customer loyalty and trust, which leads to greater satisfaction, retention, and growth. The CEnS organization is looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success to help us build a future where customers come to us, not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, and also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience that is rooted in our commitment to delivering on customer outcomes.
Escalation Engineers (EE) investigate and solve critical, complex, and highly technical issues using mostly code-level techniques - like trace and source code analysis, debugging tools, reverse engineering techniques and other sophisticated diagnostic tools. EEs are responsible for driving Product Engineering engagement. They handle highly complex politically charged and financially important cases through collaboration and conflict resolution skills and act as key collaboration point for support teams.
In this role you will become world best in your area of expertise. Besides technical talent, we are looking for people who thrive under challenging circumstances and engage in difficult situations while they learn.
Response and Resolution
- Handles highly complex, political, financial, executive level cases - as business demands
- Key collaboration point for advanced troubleshooting to unblock issues - including the use of code-level techniques
- Manage engagement with Product Engineering for Support-raised escalations
- Work alongside with the engineering teams to improve incident resolution or service deficiency
- Drive process, tool, service delivery and solution improvements that enable effective troubleshooting and remediation (incl. Diagnostics)
- Performs complex product troubleshooting and remediation when needed. Works alongside the development teams to drive incident resolution for configuration, code, or other service deficiencies impacting customers. Analyzes patterns of problems and identifies workflows to optimize support engineering delivery for a team or region level.
- Collaborates on cross-team and cross-product technical issues by working with resources from other groups including support engineering groups, product groups, services team, and account team as needed to resolve complex customer issues.
- Provide ramp activities for junior engineers, knowledge sharing, technical coaching and mentoring
- Assists in the development of end-to-end readiness programs (e.g., mentoring, leading triages, content creation, brown bag sessions, blogs, quality assurance checks, writes technical articles) for new and existing technology.
- Drive technical collaboration and engagement with Product Engineering teams, Services, Support, partner teams to influence the product/process improvements
- Lead or participate in building communities with peer delivery roles; may be workload or specialty specific
- Acts as a trusted advisor to the product group, in a designated discipline or technology, to influence, improve, or propose fixes.
- Contributes to product improvements by filing bugs and design change requests, and recommends potential fixes to validate resolution prior to shipping to customer or production in order to prevent customers from being impacted.
- Reviews diagnostic processes and collaborates to design complete systems that simplify tools automation and eliminate systematic diagnostic issues. Builds automation tools.
- Makes improvements based on feedback provided. Translates feedback and creates processes and workflows for case resolution.
- Acts as a consultant to the support community. Partners/Leads case triage meetings and/or case discussions to share knowledge with other engineers and develop customer solutions. Takes learnings from triage meetings to communicate readiness needs to manager or readiness team.
- Uses business integration knowledge to influence strategy when engaging with customers, partners, and teams.
- 7+ years technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), or related field AND 5+ years technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience.
- Experience with C# OR .NET, PowerShell, CLI, Microsoft Azure
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Microsoft Technology Certifications.
This position is primarily “behind the scenes” providing engineering support to the broader Azure Active Directory support delivery teams for incidents that require product group engagement. At the same time, individuals should be capable and prepared to occasionally engage directly with customers to help facilitate incident resolution as appropriate.
• Cloud Computing, Microsoft Azure architecture and its components.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Azure PaaS offerings
• Azure Platform development and deployment concepts
• Superior problem solving and troubleshooting skills, an ability to use various data collection tools and methodologies to analyze problems and identify solutions
• Identity Concepts: ADFS, SAML, WS-Federation, OAUTH, OWIN, ADAL
• Networking Concepts: VIPs, NAT, DNS , VPN, Virtual Networks, OSI model
• Web protocols/methods: TCP/IP, HTTP/s, JSON.
• OS/Virtualization: OS Internals, Hyper-V, SSH, LDAP, SMB/NFS
• Experience working with OSS technologies is preferred. (LAMP, Node.js, Java)
The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $103,700 and $171,500.
At Microsoft, certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and / or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire / transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.