Sr. System Development Engineer, RDS Platform Services
The AWS Cloud spans 84 Availability Zones within 26 geographic regions around the world, with announced plans for 24 more Availability Zones and 8 more AWS Regions in 2022. AWS Global Infrastructure Map is constantly increasing at a significant rate. Come join us to make an impact in increasing the global footprint!
Relational Database Service (RDS) is an internally-focused team making deep changes to tooling, infrastructure, processes, and control plane components. We are one of the fastest growing business within AWS.
Our service provides managed, reliable, scalable and highly available relational databases on demand, and we are currently supporting the largest fleet of relational databases on Earth. We minimize the effort required to maintain databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage, setting up replicas for load-spreading and DR, and high availability / redundancy, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses.
For more information about RDS, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds.
- You are passionate about automation, operational excellence, and infrastructure.
- You can efficiently tackle problems through code, database, hardware, networking, or storage within complex systems.
- You can anticipate bottlenecks, make trade-offs, and encourage innovative to maximize business benefit.
- You can evaluate and recommend new and emerging products and technologies.
- You are comfortable in the open-source and Linux worlds, can proficiently write code, scripts in more than a couple of languages and pick up new ones as needed.
- You’ve written lots of software, contributed to platforms, tools and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models.
- You understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them.
- You love to learn new things and to grow.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position does involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
A day in the life
As a member of our team, you will help us scale in advance of our next regions launch. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define the features for new and innovative ways of automating multiple service tasks. You will be interacting with many database engine and service teams across AWS to drive adoption of the solutions built by the team, and influence systems development practices for new and existing products. You will play a significant role in building new systems and solutions to support region reliability and drive an environment of continuous improvement and efficiency.
About the team
RDS Region Build Team (the hiring group) - The team's mission is to delight our customers by ensuring the new regions around the globe are launched on schedule. This is achieved by automating build processes and workflows for all services to launch the region. We tackle complex and ambiguous problems that spans numerous systems and multiple organizations within AWS.
- 4+ years experience in a large-scale software development environment.
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of experience with ability to program to solve problems and automate repetitive tasks in a common scripting or programming language such as Python, Ruby, C++, C#, Java, Golang.
- A history of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in a dynamic environment.
- Should be genuinely excited about technology, have a strong interest in learning about and playing with the latest technologies.
- Must be a self-starter and motivated.
- Strong customer focus.
- Ability to provide technical guidance to a diverse, skilled team of SysDEs.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience communicating with senior technical and business leadership.
- Experience building complex performance-related test automation.
- Understanding of networking, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, distributed computing and best practices related to same.
- Experience in Systems and Infrastructure Administration, DevOps or Automation.
- Experience designing and/or implementing automated software testing, deployment and performance analysis systems.
- Experience conducting failure mode analysis in complex distributed systems.
- Experience creating, reviewing, and refining design and architecture documents presented by partner teams for operational readiness, fault tolerance and scalability.
- Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment.
- Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive product improvement.
- Experience with AWS technologies (CloudFormation).
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Work hard, Have fun, Make History