Principal Technical Program Manager
It’s no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers – on time, with low cost. The Middle Mile Product and Technology (MMPT) organization, builds complex software solutions that work across our vendors, warehouses and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered
Our services already handle thousands of requests per second, make business decisions impacting billions of dollars a year, integrate with a network of small and large carriers, owner operators and drivers worldwide, manage business rules for millions of unique products, and improve ordering and delivery experience for millions of online shoppers.
That said, this remains a fast growing business and our technical journey has only started. An example of a recent innovation from this group is AmazonFlex (flex.amazon.com) that enables crowdsourced last mile delivery.
With rapid expansion into new geographies, innovations in supply chain, unique delivery models for products ranging from AmazonFresh groceries, ultra-fast Prime Now deliveries to big-screen TV’s, increasingly complex transportation network, and growing number of shipments worldwide, we see a brand new opportunity to fundamentally change the way people get the stuff they need, and make a big impact by cutting billions of dollars of transportation costs from the ecosystem.
Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation solution on the planet, using our technology and engineering muscle as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in big data, , and optimization techniques, and operate high volume, low latency, and high availability services. Oh, and we will need great leaders too (this is where you come in … read on)
Technical Program Managers in MMPT are force multipliers who represent org level initiatives to senior leadership and enable their teams to deliver business value. As a Principal TPM, you will be responsible for identifying the stakeholders, working with leadership to develop a vision, roadmaps and execution strategies for business programs that are supported by the MMPT team that serve some of our most strategic customers.
TPMs handle complex inter-team dependencies and bridge the gaps in technical management. You will need to work with professionals in many different domains including product, engineering, engineering management, operations. Successful candidates will have a strong technical background, be detail-oriented, have excellent problem solving and communication abilities, and poses a deep understanding of product design and implementation details
Candidate’s technical expertise and operational excellence will raise the bar and influence the team’s decisions and drive secure and robust solutions which have great customer experience. To accomplish this, you will be expected to have an established background in technology product development, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about building good software as well as making that software achieve its operational goals. Experience with building and operating web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale, will be very applicable and helpful.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
- 10+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- Significant technical depth and understanding of distributed systems and engineering best practices
- Thorough understanding of software development lifecycle from conception to delivery
- Hands-on technical background in software development
- 10+ years of technical program management experience
- Experience managing portfolio of projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
- MS or Master’s degree
- Proven track record of taking ownership and delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and ability to present in large groups and handle high-pressure communication with senior management
- A proven track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Work hard, Have fun, Make History