Studio Technical Art Director
343 Industries is looking for a Studio Technical Art Director to join our team, working on the future of our latest acclaimed release, Halo Infinite!
We are looking for a seasoned leader with extensive technical experience who is passionate about managing, mentoring, and growing our talented Technical Artists, helping develop a unified vision and alignment around the team’s best practices and standards.
Along with your team, you will ensure we are making the best technical choices to execute on our Art Director’s vision, achieving incredible visual results with efficiency and within the challenging performance constraints of shipping across multiple platforms.
You will need to be an effective collaborator, adept at communicating with the wide gamut of technical and artistic disciplines and comfortable working across our large development team. Developing strong relationships with our Art Directors, Leads and Engineers and will be key, advising on technical requirements & constraints and working in partnership to define & uphold technical quality, remove roadblocks, and ensure our technology meets the needs of our creative vision.
As our Studio Technical Art Director, it’s not expected that you are the expert in every category of Technical Art, but significant knowledge around real-time rendering, 3D content creation, memory/performance management & optimization, rigging, lighting/post-processing, shader authoring, and proprietary engine & tools development is desired.
If this sounds like you and you want to join a passionate and driven team, investing big in an exciting future, then come work with us!
• Lead, manage and mentor a team of Technical Artists and Leads. Motivating and growing the team, ensuring appropriate staffing & prioritization across our Art teams
• Establish a cohesive vision for Technical Art, defining best practices and ensuring our content is efficiently built in the best way to hit our Artistic vision
• Partner with our Art teams and collaborate with Engineers to develop technical roadmaps for future engine and graphical developments that will meet our creative needs
• Establish processes & budgets around content memory and performance management
• Drive technical training & education for our Artists as new features or processes come online or into focus
• Oversee look development and R&D efforts to investigate new opportunities and pioneer cutting-edge solutions to complex problems
• 10+ years of experience in video game and/or VFX industry
• 5+ years of management/leadership experience
• Experience working as a Technical Artist for one or more shipped game title
• Expert knowledge of AAA game engines, render pipelines and content creation workflows
• Experience designing or helping develop technology for AAA proprietary game engines
• Broad knowledge of industry applicable software including Maya, Photoshop, Simpligon and the ability to quickly learn new DCC software
• Experience managing performance/memory budgets and optimization process for games
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to act as a gateway between Art, Engineering, and other disciplines
• Ability to drive cross discipline strike teams to collaborate on visual targets, rendering and technology development
• Passion for making visually groundbreaking games, with a desire to push boundaries and forge new industry standards
• Expertise scripting in Python or other languages, within DCC apps or game engines
• Knowledge around PBR materials & shader development (HLSL or Node Graph)
• Experience working with large and complex asset repositories, including content management and validation
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.