Site Reliability Engineer 2
Site Reliability Engineer 2
Liquid Engineering, Digital Security & Resilience
The mission of Microsoft Digital Security & Resilience (DSR) is to enable Microsoft to build the most trusted devices and services, while keeping our company safe and our data protected. As part of Microsoft’s Security, Compliance, Identity, and Management organization, and a steward of Microsoft and our customer’s data, a core function of Microsoft DSR is ensuring the security of every aspect of the business. Microsoft DSR is responsible for company-wide information security and compliance, with a strategic focus on information protection, assessment, awareness, governance, and enterprise business continuity. As customer zero, we deploy and secure these services inside Microsoft and then share best practices with enterprise customers at scale across the globe. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
We are looking for an energetic, data-obsessed software engineer who believes in using the power of software to make data and services reliable. You would be a member of the Site Reliability Engineering team for the Liquid service. Liquid is a large, data-centric cloud service that manages multiple terabytes of data infused with artificial intelligence to support governance, compliance, and risk management across Microsoft. We provide the automation and analytics behind many of Microsoft's commitments to security, privacy, and other areas of customer trust. In this role, you’ll work with a range of fun, modern, cloud and data-centric technologies -- Azure app services (e.g., web sites), data systems (e.g., Kusto, Azure Data Lake and Cosmos DB) and Machine Learning technologies. You’ll have plenty of mobility across these areas so you can shine where you’re already strong but learn in new areas as well.
As a team we are proud of our approach to work/life balance: we believe that achieving compelling business results does not mean sacrificing our goals as people. If you are excited by the opportunity to work in a critical business area and build long-term value for Microsoft, then we want to hear from you!
Preferred work locations:
Remote in the U.S.
- Independently develops code or scripts that automate the performance of repetitive and easily scalable operations processes.
- Designs, develops, and maintains telemetry pipelines and monitoring tools that detail operations metrics.
- Identifies and recommends configurations optimal for cloud technology solutions.
- Participates in onboarding, code/design reviews, and regular meetings as part of the engineering team
- Develops, tests, troubleshoots, and implements changes to optimize code and improve products.
- Responds to incidents during regular on-call rotations.
- Researches and maintains an awareness of industry knowledge and identifies ways the information can be applied.
- Shares insights and best practices that can be applied to improve the development and operations of the system.
- 3+ years of Software, Site Reliability, Systems or Service Engineering experience
- 1+ years of software design and development in C#, .Net.
- 1+ years of experience working with Azure-based services
- Prior experience implementing and optimizing Build and Release pipelines incorporating infrastructure and configuration as code.
- Prior experience driving security assessments using STRIDE or similar approach.
- Experience with Power Shell.
- Demonstrated experience generating deep data insights including performance related data to drive decisions and improvements.
- Familiarity with common software design principles.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate well, both technically and interpersonally.
- Ability to balance competing demands and adapt to changing priorities.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a team environment, experience running and designing enterprise scale services and platforms, technical depth in cloud platforms, agile development practices, and experience in designing & tuning telemetry. In addition, this position requires an individual who can demonstrate the ability to ensure highly resilient and scalable service designs through partnership with other members of the service team.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.