CPU Principal Engineer Physical Design
The silicon computing development team is seeking passionate, driven, and intellectually curious computer/electrical engineers to deliver premium-quality designs once considered impossible. Our team is involved in numerous projects within Microsoft developing custom silicon for a diverse set of systems ranging from traditional computing solutions to artificial intelligence and augmented reality. We are responsible for delivering cutting-edge, custom CPU and SoC designs that can perform complex and high-performance functions in an extremely efficient manner.
- As a member of the Core Physical Design team, help define and implement next generation CPU designs.
- Lead EMIR methodology and closure across the custom CPU blocks, including driving flow development in advanced nodes.
- Collaborate across the custom CPU blocks to optimize EMIR tradeoffs within the design and ensure high quality results.
- Participate with internal and external tool vendors to determine and drive optimal solutions across the physical design flow.
- Utilize scripting skills to write and customize tool flows to maximize design efficiency and productivity.
- 15+ years of Physical Design experience designing large hierarchical chips in advanced nodes
- Have successfully developed and driven EMIR technical strategy and capabilities in technology nodes below 7nm
- 3+ years in technical leadership experience, with excellent communication, collaboration and teamwork skills and ability to contribute to a diverse and inclusive team
- Industry standard tool expertise (Synopsys-Ansys Redhawk, Cadence Voltus)
- Ability to guide other engineers on EMIR methodology, analysis, debug, and closure
- Knowledgeable in Physical Design tools (Synopsys Fusion Compiler, Cadence Innovus)
- Strong programming skills in any of the following languages, Perl, TCL, Python, is a requirement
- Ability to collaborate and work directly with the tool vendors, and drive them to resolve tools bugs as well as implement required improvements
- Outstanding technical problem solving and debugging ability
- Meaningful experience in exploring and defining new technology node settings
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.