Business Development Manager
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.
With over 15,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience and Success (CEnS) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of the Microsoft end-to-end customer experience. This newly expanded organization reflects the Microsoft ambition to be known as a customer experience company, ensuring our Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more is enabled by delighting customers and consistently exceeding their expectations in every interaction through a connected customer experience.
Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to exceed customer expectations and drive greater customer loyalty and trust, which leads to greater satisfaction, retention, and growth. The CEnS organization is looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success to help us build a future where customers come to us, not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, and also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience that is rooted in our commitment to delivering on customer outcomes.
• Managers deliver success through empowerment and accountability by modeling, coaching, and caring.
• Model - Live our culture; Embody our values; Practice our leadership principles.
• Coach - Define team objectives and outcomes; Enable success across boundaries; Help the team adapt and learn.
• Care - Attract and retain great people; Know each individual’s capabilities and aspirations; Invest in the growth of others.
Understanding the Customer
• Takes ownership in understanding customer business, needs and strategy across all aligned accounts to drive customer success. Keeps up to date with customer information and industry trends through research (e.g., reads customer publications, speaks with direct reports and customer stakeholders). Gains insight and credibility as a trusted partner by influencing customers, providing thought leadership, and partnering with the customer to better understand their needs. Leverages an external perspective with customers, bringing in insights from previous customer experiences. Anticipates market direction around technology to ensure team is equipped with the appropriate capabilities. Aligns with internal teams. Coaches team to develop and leverage understanding of customer business and industry.
Business Value Communication
• Inspires team to demonstrate business value of solutions for complex customer organization and tailors message to their business strategy. Serves as a sought-after resource and trusted advisor based on ability to connect relevant industry, competitive, and/or customer insights to business outcomes. Coaches team in business value selling and promotes strategic thinking to ensure team capabilities.
Business Value Realization
• Drives best practices and innovation in delivery of customer success plans to optimize customer value across accounts. Provides recommendations in defining success measures and promotes long-term customer success strategy with team. Coaches team to build customer success plans and utilizes them to build account team plan, leveraging own expertise and hands-on experiences (e.g., success- plan workshops). Aligns multiple engagement plans and leverages corporate resources dedicated to awareness improvement of high potentials (e.g., Skills Learning platform). Drives team understanding of strategic intent and business outcomes to facilitate discussions around key performance indicators (KPIs). Optimizes value realization by engaging other resources (e.g., Engineering, Partners) and ensuring progress reporting.
Guiding Customer Strategy
• Guides team to influence long-term customer strategy and growth for Microsoft by cultivating customer preference for Microsoft programs/solutions that drive impact for the customer and establishing Microsoft as a leader, leveraging functional expertise. Guides team in ideation of new reference cases for others, leveraging view of broad context. Acts as a strategic partner to executive-level business and technical decision makers (e.g., Chief Executive-level) to guide customers in defining and realizing their digital and business transformational targets. Leverages expertise in relationship building and influencing to mentor team in building strategic partnerships.
• Proactively builds and leverages relationships with relevant internal partners/stakeholders (e.g., Services) and external partners to develop partner network and support business outcomes. Collaborates with internal teams (e.g., One Commercial Partner) to leverage strategic and updated offerings for plays. Guides and coaches team in leveraging partner network for influence.
• Leads and inspires internal teams (e.g., FastTrack, One Commercial Partner) and customer teams across functions to support business outcomes, enable execution of customer success through One Microsoft, and inform programmatic improvements. Leads rhythms of business (ROB) and oversees processes to ensure efficiency. Aligns processes (e.g., forecasting) with other cross-functional internal teams within the Enterprise Operating Unit (EOU) (e.g., Account Team Unit, Specialist Team Unit, Services, One Commercial Partner, Business Group). Shares best practices and engages in global CSM community. Orchestrates across subsidiary to drive consistency in approach on global basis for early in career team member experience.
• Provides support for team in maintaining operational excellence and customer health and ensuring consumption process compliance by coaching the team to leverage key tools, programs, and insights, orchestrating consumption rhythms of business (ROB) for the Operating Unit (OU), and reporting to Leadership on insights. Drives maintenance of governance processes. Leads ROB, reports on overall health across territories within the OU, interpreting and providing data-based insights focused on the business unit. Shares success stories and best practices across communities and provides feedback and insights into the playbook for optimization. Drives operational excellence by promoting content sharing and knowledge building across teams and providing clarity to the team.
• Leads team to ensure execution and assessment of the delivery of complex success engagements that drive customer objectives, outcomes, success, and help realize digital transformation across customers, engaging other resources as necessary. Drives best practices to optimize execution across customers. Drives for resolutions and supports customers in resolving difficult roadblocks. Contributes best practices and patterns to solve complex blockers. Drives accountability in execution by providing coaching, ensuring use of tools, engaging in follow up activities, and overseeing processes. Optimizes team resources across engagements.
• Supports and enables team to drive customer change and optimization of change management by applying deep knowledge of change management principles, creating influence strategies with senior decision makers to scale change across organizational boundaries, and articulating alignment between customer culture and digital transformation. Enables team to leverage tools to accelerate customer time to value. Drives team readiness to ensure team members are equipped to guide customers in managing change. Leverages change management principles in managing internal team.
• Enables and empowers team to act as the voice of the customer and Partner by championing feedback around technical capabilities, blockers, and insights and driving the resolution of existing items, leveraging relevant tools (e.g., OneList). Represents the customer to internal teams (e.g., Engineering) as an escalation point to shape strategy by providing insights across territories. Uses broad patterns of feedback to develop strategic and actionable insights and presents a compelling business case to program managers that influences product roadmaps and decision making. Enables and empowers team to identify gaps and take ownership in driving action based on feedback and advocating on the customer's behalf to drive resolution. Drives strategy for positive change within Microsoft. Brings in advocates to showcase success as references. Creates a culture of advocacy within the team to champion advocacy internally and represent the industry externally.
• Empowers and coaches team to identify trends across customers and connect them to relevant communities (e.g., user groups, success factories) to drive customer success, initiating and developing new communities/events as needed (e.g., leads executive roundtable, develops user groups) to drive partner enablement and scale. Actively participates as a leader/moderator in relevant internal and external communities by giving presentations, etc.
Technical Capability Building
• Proactively provides mentorship and coaching to team members by sharing expertise to drive team capabilities. Enables and empowers team to utilize and optimize development opportunities (e.g., mentorships) and leverage network to build technical capability. Fosters a culture of professional development to drive continuous learning of Customer Success discipline expertise, including technical and product skills.
• Bachelor's Degree in Business, Engineering, Technology, or related field AND 6+ years related work experience (e.g., consulting, pre-sales/post-sales, business analysis, technical sales, customer change management, line-of-business leadership)
o OR Master's Degree in Business, Engineering, Technology, or related field AND 4+ years related work experience (e.g., consulting, pre-sales/post-sales, business analysis, technical sales, customer change management, line-of-business leadership)
o OR equivalent experience.
• 2+ years people management experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
• Bachelor's Degree in Business, Engineering, Technology, or related field AND 10+ years related work experience (e.g., consulting, pre-sales/post-sales, business analysis, technical sales, customer change management, line-of-business leadership)
o OR Master's Degree in Business, Engineering, Technology, or related field AND 8+ years related work experience (e.g., consulting, pre-sales/post-sales, business analysis, technical sales, customer change management, line-of-business leadership)
o OR equivalent experience.
• 3+ years experience in change management and/or technology adoption.
• Change Management Certification (e.g., Prosci).
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.