Senior Software Development Manager (Remote, Americas)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the role
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, and brick-and-mortar locations. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Shopify was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Shopify powers over 1,000,000 businesses in over 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Red Bull, Nestle, Rebecca Minkoff, Kylie Cosmetics, and many more.
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe. A big piece of our success on this fast-moving mission is our partner ecosystem.
We’re looking for Senior Development Managers to work with these teams:
Store Management is the set of experiences that every Shopify merchant needs to use to be successful. From inventory management and fulfilment to reporting and analytics, you will build and execute a vision for making the most integral tasks of running a business better, for every merchant on Shopify.
Shopify Plus is making enterprise commerce simple. We give high growth, high volume merchants the scalability, reliability and flexibility they need. Shopify Plus is helping power commerce for companies like MVMT, Chubbies, Nestle, Kylie, and many more. We believe large merchants should love their commerce platform, and we work hard each day to make that happen. We are a rocket ship, and this is where you come in.
Shopify Channels was designed to give merchants one unified platform to do it all. The work that the channels team does helps entrepreneurs grow their businesses by creating experiences that feel empowering and delightful, increasing sales for all of Shopify’s merchants. As an example, the Channels team designs, builds and maintains our Shopify-built 3rd party channels, such as our integrations with Instagram, Facebook, Amazon and Messenger, builds our Online channel: the largest sales channel at Shopify and the primary channel for most of our merchants, and are even building a powerful virtual employee to handle all our merchant's marketing needs.
Shopify's Ecosystem is a broad product line that serves three audiences: the merchants who use apps and services, the partners who build those apps and services, and the Shopify teams that use tools, APIs and technology we build. Until recently, our model was that we "built what most merchants need most of the time" — and the needs we didn't meet by building Shopify were met by apps provided by our partners. But now, we know we need to do more. Instead of just layering apps on top of Shopify, we use the tools we build in Ecosystem to transform or replace parts of Shopify. By doing that, we can help Shopify become more modular over time, so we can keep meeting the needs of more merchants.
You’ll be working on things like:
- Managing several teams and helping them prioritize, build and ship the most impactful features to our merchants and community of developers.
- As a member of the product area leadership, build a composite roadmap that reflects the priorities in the different areas and continuously rebalance the teams to react to changes in the surrounding conditions.
- Work on problems with your teams, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants.
- Grow a team of teams both through internal development and helping with external hiring.
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, ReactJS, PHP or Python.
- Familiarity with distributed and highly available systems at scale.
- A strong technical foundation. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with developers at all levels of seniority.
- Experience designing and developing APIs.
- Proven leadership skills. Your management skills and technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies.
- You are comfortable working with senior stakeholders (Director level and up), both technical and non technical.
- You have successfully built and grown large teams of engineers during your career.
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results.
- Domain experience in eCommerce, shipping & logistics, or financial services is ideal but not necessary for versatile engineering leaders who are strong in their craft.
- You have experience building your own app(s) on platforms like Shopify.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jane is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Making commerce better for everyone - remotely 💚