Software Development Manager (Remote, Americas)
United States Remote
About the role
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, and brick-and-mortar locations. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Shopify was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Shopify powers over 1,000,000 businesses in over 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Red Bull, Nestle, Rebecca Minkoff, Kylie Cosmetics, and many more.
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe.
- Managing teams and helping them prioritize, build and ship the most impactful features to our merchants and community of developers.
- As a member of the product area leadership, build a composite roadmap that reflects the priorities in the different areas and continuously rebalance the teams to react to changes in the surrounding conditions.
- Work on problems with your teams, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants.
- Grow a team, both through internal development and external hiring.
- Proven team leadership skills. Your management skills and technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies.
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP or Python.
- Familiarity with distributed and highly available systems at scale.
- A strong technical foundation. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with developers at all levels of seniority.
- Experience designing and developing APIs.
- You are comfortable working with senior stakeholders (Director level and up), both technical and non technical.
- You have successfully built and grown teams of engineers during your career.
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results.
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
Please note: All applicants to this position will receive a response no later than three weeks after submitting an application - both candidates selected to proceed to interviews, and candidates with whom we will not move forward. We are taking time as a team to ensure that we have a diverse pool of candidates in our process before accepting more candidates into our interview steps.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.