Staff Software Developer (Remote, Americas)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the role
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, and brick-and-mortar locations. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Shopify was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Shopify powers over 1,000,000 businesses in over 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Red Bull, Nestle, Rebecca Minkoff, Kylie Cosmetics, and many more.
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe.
At Shopify, Staff Developers use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a Staff Developer, you’ll help drive the product vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and think deeply about empowering other developers. You’ll also be hands-on in our code and will contribute technically.
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build innovative features that are driven by web scale data
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
- Experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with UX and Product Management teams across time zones
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
Please note: All applicants to this position will receive a response no later than three weeks after submitting an application - both candidates selected to proceed to interviews, and candidates with whom we will not move forward. We are taking time as a team to ensure that we have a diverse pool of candidates in our process before accepting more candidates into our interview steps.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Making commerce better for everyone - remotely 💚