Backend Application Developer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Who we are:
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- THRIVE - Top 50 Leading AgTech (2020) – recognized as exemplifying some of the best in agriculture technology around the globe.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
- Google Accelerator (2020) - Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
You are an applications expert with a desire to develop projects that result in a real world impact and are curious about how technology and agriculture intersect. Being a problem solver, you are eager to understand business processes and how to manage complexity within a tech stack. You understand that in order to solve problems that have never been solved before, you take initiative, embrace risk, and speak up.
What you will do:
You will develop backend functionality for a wide variety of internal web and mobile applications service needs for scientists, field service workers and IoT technical support. Specifically, you will:
- Communicate with internal customers and the product team to convert business processes into code
- Implement back-end functionality with RESTful API endpoints
- Develop database schema design to support new functionality and IoT equipment
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- Professional experience with NodeJS including REST APIs or GraphQL.
- Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL or BigQuery)
- Experience using Git with teams.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a passion/love for it.
Nice to have:
- A diploma or degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Science or a related field.
- Experience using AWS, GCP, Serverless, and/or Docker.
- Experience testing front-end and back-end code.
- Experience using PostGIS.
- Passion for coding as demonstrated by being an active contributor to the local tech community or open source.
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other
- Have a lasting impact as you help to build a company
- Learn a lot along the way!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
#PrecisionAg platform for tree fruit, tree nut & vine crops. #IoT network and predictive analytics for pests, disease, frost & irrigation mgmt. #bigda...