Senior Commercial Counsel (Remote - US)
United States Remote
Senior Commercial Counsel
Slack is looking for an exceptionally talented and pleasant attorney to join our legal team. This position will be responsible for various legal-related matters involved in selling our products, partnering with others to make Slack better and used by more teams, and ensuring our own people have the best information and tools when doing their jobs.
This individual will work closely with our Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Go-To-Market teams, leading legal negotiations and giving advice at all levels of the organization. This is a special opportunity for the right candidate. We’re just getting started! And we’re nice.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
This role can be remote or based in either our Denver or New York office.
What you will be doing
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales, our purchase of software and services from vendors, and growth-driven partnerships with both startups and public companies. Your primary focus will be on SaaS subscription agreements, software licenses, professional services agreements, data processing agreements, and NDAs. Use your experience gained from supporting hundreds or thousands of commercial transactions to help define business terms and structure deals in the most optimal way.
- You’ll provide input on processes and policies to help drive our growth and capture new learnings. Then, iterate again.
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Accounts, Marketing, Business Operations, and Business Development teams that balances business objectives and legal risk, taking into account company policies and positions.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, open source, IP, privacy, employment, and other laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
- Provide input on a contracts management system and contract processes to optimize interactions with our Accounts team.
What you should have
- 8+ years’ experience working on different kinds of commercial transactions (e.g., strategic alliance, SaaS, IP licensing, software licensing, product resale and distribution, working with contractors, outsourcing, facilities, etc.), including with large enterprise companies and companies in regulated industries (e.g. financial services, healthcare, etc.).
- Comfortable negotiating data privacy agreements, including a working knowledge of GDPR and CCPA as they relate to commercial contracts.
- Ability to draft documents, policies, emails and anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for non-lawyers. It’s a cliché, but attention to detail really is a must.
- A confident, effective and positive negotiator who can lead the process, focus on important issues, and efficiently bring deals to a favorable close.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly expanding and changing as we grow our business, learn more about our customers, and figure out what works best and what doesn’t.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, supported by a point of view that is thought out and communicated well.
- Entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property, licensing, privacy, data security, and commercial laws (or a strong willingness to learn).
- Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of Slack and our industry, with an eye towards aligning decisions with the bigger picture goals.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with different departments to reach consensus on whether to accept non-standard contract terms. Ability to contribute to and iterate on contract playbook of fallback terms.
- JD required. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
- Eager to chip in wherever and whenever help is needed. Good at building authentic relationships with all kinds of people across many functional teams. Oh, and you should like being a lawyer!
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Your application has been successfully submitted.