Tech Lead - Online Services, Call of Duty
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Would you be excited about leading technical execution on a team that builds reliable and scalable online services and features, to be used by millions of players all around the world?
We are an independently-run part of Activision with a small company feel. We run every part of the player's online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to partying up with your friends to unlocking the best attachments, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot and Tony Hawk.
If you’re excited about working with game studios, large scale systems and online multiplayer technology in a collaborative environment then we’d love to hear from you!
That sounds amazing, but what kind of impact will I have?
We’re looking for a tech lead to join our team in the Titles department, focused on providing technical leadership for one of the teams delivering online services for Call of Duty titles.
Demonware has some of the biggest entertainment launches in the world with player counts going from zero to millions of players on day one and our services make that possible.
Awesome, what will my “day-to-day” look like?
In this role, you will work side by side with game studios at Activision like Treyarch, Infinity Ward, and Sledgehammer Games to make radical game designs a reality at massive scale.
You’ll be hands-on in leading the architecture, design, and delivery of services that directly enable game features alongside other engineers both at Demonware and across Activision studios.
Our teams own the services we build in production; you’ll be a key part of operating and driving improvements to our tech stack, focusing on scalability and reliability.
You will be responsible for the technical execution of the team, collaborating with the manager and project manager to map out the team’s objectives and create project plans based on the team’s priorities, company goals and studio requirements. Your focus will be primarily on engineering execution - distributing and guiding work across the team.
You will provide technical mentorship to team members through software engineering best practices, and evolve team processes to drive engineering excellence. You’ll be a key contributor to design and code reviews. Your actions will help engage, develop, and retain high-performing engineers.
On the whole, you can expect to spend roughly half your time on engineering work, with the other half split between quality assurance, project planning, and technical mentorship.
This is a full-time position at Demonware’s Vancouver Headquarters in Canada. Until it’s deemed safe to return to the office, this will be a remote position.
What would you like to see in my background?
- Expertise in architecting, delivering, and supporting scalable services in production
- Expertise in at least one programming language, preferably Python and C++
- Experience ensuring the software produced by your team is of top-notch quality
- Experience owning the day-to-day fundamentals of engineering projects and steering their technical direction with minimal supervision
- An interest in adapting your team's software development processes to ensure they are effective based on the needs and pace of a project
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Good communication and customer-facing skills
- An interest in travel to assist on-site integration at game studios and able to accommodate a flexible work schedule that includes being on-call
- Understanding of large scale distributed systems (up to millions of concurrent users)
- Experience in MySQL, Cassandra or Redis is a plus
- Experience with multi-platform development, including PC, Xbox, and Playstation
- Experience with load testing and performance optimization best practices
- Experience working with VMs, Linux containers, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies
- Experience in a customer-facing role
Your application has been successfully submitted.