Principal Software Engineering Manager (Mobile)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Digital media has transformed our lives – allowing people and organizations to communicate more clearly, learn more quickly, and get more done. With the ubiquity of mobile digital devices, the possibilities of leveraging media to do even more are boundless. What if you were responsible for bringing to life the next generation of media experiences?
The Office Media Group exists to empower all Microsoft 365 customers to do more with media. We are focused on media because it is a modern way to communicate that is engaging and personal. Part of the value proposition of the M365 subscription is that Microsoft will bring the latest and most effective technology to our customers, integrated with their workflows in a way that makes them more efficient and effective – to get their jobs done. Media represents the forefront of information work and our job in OMG is to deliver those capabilities to our customers, interpreted thoughtfully to meet their needs most appropriately.
For more about Microsoft Stream:
You will lead, mentor, and grow a team of talented, diverse software engineers who are versed in delivering exceptional media-first experiences to be delivered across the mobile M365 suite of applications, including Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint, Outlook, Office Mobile and more. Your team will create user-centric, powerful, efficient, and high-quality experiences used by teachers, students, and professionals alike for personal communication, sharing knowledge and learning.
Who you are:
You are a highly motivated leader with a passion to empower and grow software engineers, as well as help drive vision, strategy, and delivery of experiences that our customers love. Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape. We will create these experiences by leveraging the success of others and learning collaboratively.
You have entrepreneurial spirit and a can-do attitude. You will be a member of the Stream engineering leadership team, drive critical partner collaborations, participate in strategic & tactical decisions, be accountable for shipping a complete end-to-end offering. You have people management experience and world-class product design & development skills.
- 8+ years of experience as a software engineer/engineering manager building commercial software and a proven track record of having shipped successful software products & services
- 5+ years of experience driving and managing technical and architectural dependencies
- 5+ years of experience in leadership roles managing software engineers with excellent coaching skills
- 5+ years of experience designing end user applications that are built using modern web-based technologies
- 5+ years of experience developing application software experiences as part of a product team which has shipped to customers.
- Coding proficiency in Objective C, Swift, Java, Kotlin, C++, C# or equivalent languages/frameworks
- BS (Bachelor of Science) or MS (Master of Science) degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team consisting of Software Engineers, Program Managers, and Data Scientists
- Demonstrated leadership competencies such as creating clarity in an ambiguous environment, generating energy and delivering success
- Shipping applications to the iOS and / or Android stores
- Experience with software development tools such as source control systems (GIT), automated build systems, compilers, software validation systems, project tracking, and lifecycle management systems
- Experience working in Scrum, Kanban or any process which adheres to the principals of agile software development is valued.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We’re on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.