Software Engineering Intern (Summer 2021) - Location Flexible San Francisco, CA; Remote - US
United States Remote
Dropbox is now a Virtual First company, which means work outside of an office will be the primary experience for all employees. The location listed on the job description is simply so our jobs get picked up by job boards as they require a specific location. Being Virtual First means, location is flexible, so please feel free to apply to any position regardless of the location listed. Final location will be determined, by teams and individuals as the hiring process unfolds.
Dropbox is the world’s first smart workspace that helps people and teams focus on the work that matters. With more than 600 million registered users across 180 countries, we’re on a mission to design a more enlightened way of working. Dropbox is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, and has 12 offices around the world.
New graduates and interns at Dropbox work alongside industry leaders, architecting the growing family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people and businesses around the world. From day one, you’ll have the responsibility and the support you need to make a difference on a massive scale.
The Dropbox internship program is a top-notch learning experience for engineering students from all backgrounds. You are paired with a dedicated mentor who is committed to your success throughout your 12-week internship. You can expect to have ownership of your project, collaborate with full-time engineers, and receive consistent and effective feedback. Our goal is to create a robust and impactful learning experience. Additionally you will connect with fellow interns, establish mentors, collaborate with other Dropboxers, and build the foundation of a strong professional network. We will work to accommodate your school end and start dates but this internship has a minimum of a twelve (12) week duration over the summer.
As an intern, you will go toe-to-toe with Dropbox engineers. We offer numerous types of roles and teams that you can have an impact on. Here are some of the things you may do:
- Application Engineering- You will build delightful full-stack user experiences that tackle real customer needs and help drive tons of revenue for Dropbox. As a product engineering intern you can expect to work across backend, API, desktop, mobile and web.
- Infrastructure Engineering- Craft the building blocks that let us scale Dropbox to handle millions of concurrent connections, hundreds of billions of files and hundreds of petabytes of data.
- Analytics Engineering- Measure, optimize, and build one of the industry’s most advanced analytics platforms to derive meanings from vast amounts of data. Our massive scale means you’ll work with more data than many other analytics firms combined.
- Mobile Engineering- You are an Objective-C, Swift, Java and C++ magician - this team knows the ins and outs of iOS and Android SDK and will help you weave and bend the API’s to craft the Dropbox client experience on mobile devices. You are also responsible for building the backend systems that power the mobile experiences and optimize the protocol between client and server for reliability, efficiency and speed.
- Front End Engineering- You will work collaboratively to help keep our websites up and running - Dropbox.com and paper.dropbox.com! In addition to everything application engineers do but you are also deeply interested in building a fast, scalable, and responsive Dropbox experience for the modern web, using cutting-edge technologies like Typescript, React, and Redux.
- Site Reliability Engineering (SRE)- This team lives dangerously on the boundary of software and hardware - they have a deep understanding of the inner workings of our product and are committed to ensuring our products work well on real-world hardware in our data centers. You will build the software and automation that controls the hardware that runs our products, and serve as the first line of defense when something goes with our production infrastructure or services.
- Security Engineering- People trust Dropbox to keep their data secure, and at Dropbox we rely on our security engineers to make our products safe. You are a software engineer with a deep interest in building software that is secure yet easy to use. A passion for the shadowy computer underworld is a definite plus. Security engineers collaborate with product teams to secure our software, production infrastructure, website, desktop and mobile apps and our corporate infrastructure and devices.
- Currently pursuing a BS (or higher, e.g., MS, or PhD) in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- Experience writing or shipping software as part of internships, personal projects, coding competitions or research and the work we do at Dropbox resonates with you, we would love to learn more about you!
- Students with a passion to learn, problem solve, and challenge the status quo
Benefits and Perks
- Dedicated Mentorship
- Market competitive salary
- Intern Hack Week
- Housing stipend
- Employee Resource Groups
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).
Your application has been successfully submitted.