Employment Counsel, North Asia
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We're looking for an outstanding lawyer to join our APAC Employment Legal team to support and help lead our growing businesses across North Asia, specifically in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea. This role will be based in Hong Kong.
This is a once-in-a-career opportunity to join a global legal team integral to a company engaged in groundbreaking technology and passionate about solving some of the biggest challenges in the world - including changing the way regulators, courts and legislators think about the future of work.
What You'll Do:
- Serve as the lead lawyer advising Uber's HR team on the full range of employment matters relating to recruiting, hiring, training, performance management, compensation, benefits, and terminations in North Asia.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of employment documents, including employment contracts, restrictive covenant agreements, assignment letters, separation agreements and policies and handbooks.
- Partner closely with HR and internal audit on a variety of projects, initiatives, investigations and risk management.
- Advise on risks regarding temporary and outsourced workers, including reviewing and drafting staffing services agreements across North Asia.
- Identify and resolve employment related issues regarding Uber's business and its relationship with users of the Uber App in our North Asia markets.
- Handle and advise on pre-litigation disputes and employment litigation.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in tax, regulatory legal, product developers and policy and communications teams to pre-empt employment law risks related to Uber's business, and proactively finding solutions to those issues.
What You'll Need:
- 5+ years of employment law experience at a top tier firm and/or in-house with a focus on APAC-wide or North Asia employment law. Employment litigation a plus.
- Ability to operate in English (required) and in one of the following languages - Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese or Korean (required).
- Confidence operating in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to perform in nimble, rapidly changing and growing markets.
- History of driving efficient and strategic use of resources, including other support functions, in-house counsel, vendors and external counsel.
- Strong team orientation encouraging communication and cooperation across organisations and functions.
- Inquisitiveness, along with the ability to spot issues, get to the heart of the matter, and articulate plans to address them.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated experience working with business leaders.
- Collaborative approach with both business and legal groups, with a strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility and partner with others.
- Passionate about your work and a desire to have a big impact.
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion