This job is no longer accepting applications.
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 9000th client and our 500th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What does the Finance department look like?
We’re a close-knit team of scrappy, driven folks that is committed to making sure Bench has what it needs to succeed. From accounting, treasury and legal, to strategy, financial planning and analysis, we have a broad portfolio that lets us engage with every part of the business. We enjoy solving problems together through open communication and collaboration while respecting each other’s ideas.
Bench’s Financial Reporting team builds and maintains the systems and processes that enables Bench to operate efficiently day-to-day, as well as provide key financial data that helps drive Bench’s success and growth. Being a member of this team means you’ll play an integral role in increasing the efficiency and efficacy of our month end close, financial reporting, and day to day operations. We’ve done some of the heavy lifting already but, there is still a lot to build and scale. You’ll be relied on to identify areas where we can improve as we prepare for our first audit as well as the launch of new products.
Reporting to our Manager, Financial Reporting, you will have the opportunity to hone and apply your existing accounting, structured problem solving and process development skills into everything that we do. You’ll be a key contributor from day one, and you’ll learn all the in’s and outs of how a finance team at a tech company operates.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Work with the Manager, Financial Reporting to lead the company through our first annual audit.
- Preparing and reviewing key financial statements (US GAAP and Non-GAAP)
- Assist with various US and Canadian tax related reporting processes and compliance filings.
- Perform month end close activities, including owning the revenue recognition and reporting process for specific product lines.
- Analyze monthly financial statements for discrepancies and opportunities to turn insights into action.
- Preparation and design of monthly and quarterly investor reporting.
- Provide leadership to other team members by teaching and working with them to tackle complex technical and operational problems.
- Take initiative for process improvements to optimize processes.
- Collaborate with other members of the Finance, BizOps, and Data teams on various initiatives.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Advanced accounting technical knowledge (CPA or CFE passed): Bench is growing at a rapid pace and introducing various new services and products. You will need to have the ability to understand how these changes affect our internal and external processes, reporting requirements and the risks they pose.
- Proficiency in Excel, Powerpoint and Google Sheets: As a team, our main medium for communication and analysis is through these tools. You will need to have the ability to speak our language and more!
- Audit experience (as Auditor or being audited): You will use your past audit experience to help evaluate our current preparedness and work with leaders on the Finance team to develop a plan for future audits.
- Strong communication skills: You will be in contact with various people and departments across the company. You’ll need to have strong communication skills to be able to turn more technical jargon into plain language and vice versa. You’ll need to be able to turn ambiguous questions and scrappy processes into specific actions or opportunities that everyone can understand (internal and external).
- Ownership, accountability, and independence: With the amount of moving parts at Bench, you’ll have to be comfortable working on your own and setting your own priorities. You’ll be held accountable to see projects through, and own entire processes.
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Experience with Netsuite: We currently use Netsuite as our main ERP system. Coming in with previous experience with Netsuite will increase your ramp up speed as well as allow you to help improve our processes from Day 1.
- Ability to design and implement processes: We currently have a lot of new processes on the go, and there always will be. You’ll have to be comfortable turning these scrappy processes into scalable ones. Assessing the risks and taking action to make processes more efficient and automated will be crucial.
Extra bonus points if you have:
- Previous experience in SaaS or other fast paced environment
- Basic SQL Skills
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- We are open to a fully remote position for the right candidate.
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our dog-friendly office is downtown and easily accessible via transit and is close to lots of great restaurants.
- Once safe to do, we'll return to work in our downtown Vancouver office. It's dog-friendly, close to lots of great restaurants, and easily accessible via transit. We also pride ourselves on our office coffee and the fridge is always stocked, compliments of Bench
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Let us do your bookkeeping for you. With Bench you get a team of bookkeepers to do your books, and intuitive software to track your finances.