Vancouver, BC, Canada
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 9000th client and our 500th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What does the Finance department look like?
We’re a close-knit team of scrappy, driven folks that is committed to making sure Bench has what it needs to succeed. From accounting, treasury and legal, to strategy, financial planning and analysis, we have a broad portfolio that lets us engage with every part of the business. We enjoy solving problems together through open communication and collaboration while respecting each other’s ideas.
As a Financial Analyst on the team, you will play a key role in business-wide reporting and working daily with financial models to keep the business informed, develop insights and help us make great decisions. With new and novel problems every day, our Finance team can provide you with a wealth of real business experience you’re not going to get at a larger company.
We’re not going to sugarcoat it–there will be some boring stuff (shout out to revenue reconciliations!) and there will be difficult challenges, but that’s balanced with the opportunity to learn new things every day, help build a world-class business. Come jump into the deep end with us – it’ll be the most valuable experience you can get.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Maintaining a complex financial model to help assess and predict business unit performance
- Build and communicate reporting on budget vs actual performance
- Analyze problems and help understand their impact on business performance
- Work with large data sets to summarize and analyze results
- Reconcile and report revenue data
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- 1-3 years of experience in accounting, finance consulting, strategy, business intelligence or a related field
- Degree in Business, Economics, Engineering, or other quantitative fields
- Exceptional analytical skills and intuition
- Comfort working with quantitative and qualitative data
- Experience building financial models
- Excellent Excel / Google Sheets skills; experience with BI tools and SQL; Tableau experience a plus
It could be an even better fit if you:
- A nose for value: You can take a big-picture perspective to identify and stay focused on what’s most important.
- Systems thinker: Everything is connected. You can pick apart a problem or operation and understand what each piece does.
- Intellectual curiosity: It’s not enough for you to know the what - you want to know the why. You are energized by challenging problems and are persistent/resourceful in your efforts to solve them.
- Startup hustle: You are highly motivated, proactive, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude paired with grit, and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- We are open to a fully remote position for the right candidate.
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our dog-friendly office is downtown and easily accessible via transit and is close to lots of great restaurants.
- Once safe to do, we'll return to work in our downtown Vancouver office. It's dog-friendly, close to lots of great restaurants, and easily accessible via transit. We also pride ourselves on our office coffee and the fridge is always stocked, compliments of Bench
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.