Principal Software Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Distributed Application Runtime, a.k.a. Dapr (pronounced “dapper”), is an open-source project founded by Microsoft. It codifies the best practices for building microservice applications into open, independent building blocks that enable developers to build portable applications with the language and framework of their choice. Each building block is completely independent, and developers can use one, some, or all of them in their applications.
Dapr is platform-agnostic, meaning developers can run applications locally, on any Kubernetes cluster, and in other hosting environments that Dapr integrates with. This enables developers to build microservice applications that can run on the cloud and edge.
This is just the beginning. There is still a lot to build into Dapr as we add more features, more components and new building blocks. This is an exciting opportunity if you are passionate about open-source, distributed applications, cloud services, containers, and Kubernetes.
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. Dapr is an open-source software with potential to impact how developers write cloud native applications. You can help us to achieve our mission.
As a Principal Software Engineer in the Dapr OSS team, you will be an active contributor of the Dapr project in GitHub, helping the community thrive and raising the bar in quality and feature set in Dapr. The following are examples of areas where you are expected to have an impact:
- Mentor Engineers – help develop others by modeling, coaching, and caring, promoting curiosity and fostering a safe environment for innovation where people from different backgrounds can bring their perspectives.
- Enable Developers’ Success – design for the best developer experience, promote good practices to run Dapr in development and production environments, enhance documentation and give presentations to the open-source community.
- Enable Contributors – create clarity in open problems to be solved in Dapr, enabling contributors to bring their talent into the project via comments or pull requests.
- Enable Partnerships – work closely with internal and external partners to make Dapr successful in their scenarios, building trust in relationships and delivering success.
- Community Support – review issues and pull requests from the community in a timely manner, seeking to understand the scenarios and how proposals or pull requests should properly address the users’ needs holistically.
- Develop New Features and Bugfixes– deliver new features and bugfixes into the Dapr runtime, CLI, or any of the SDKs, seeking clarity from the community and maintainers.
- Develop Proof of Concepts – evaluating proposed solutions by helping to select, design, and deliver proof of concept implementations while working with internal and industry partners.
- Measure Success – understand key performance indicators and how to measure success for Dapr in the open-source community and in Azure.
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering, with 3 years of cloud services experience? (E.eg: Azure, AWS, or Google Cloud)
- 3+ years of experience in at least one of the following programming languages: Go, C#, Java, Python, C++, Rust, Ruby
- 3+ years of experience with Linux, Docker, and/or Git
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent experience
- Excellent technical design, problem solving and debugging skills and shipping high quality products
- Experience with Kubernetes
- History of open-source contributions and working with open-source communities
- Experience building, shipping, and supporting a large-scale cloud service
- Experience in technical leadership, driving engineering roadmaps, mentoring, and helping others grow
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
The salary range for this role is from $176,901 to $224,500.
At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work. US-based employees gain access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and fitness benefits, among others.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.