Principal Software Engineering Manager - Digital Workplace
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The mission of Microsoft Digital is to power, protect, and transform Microsoft as the voice of our digital transition in the market.
As part of Microsoft’s Cloud + AI Group, we are responsible for building, managing, and securing the platform, products, processes, and services that powers Microsoft. We build, maintain, and implement a cloud-first approach to our technology and experiences, from custom-built business solutions developing our campus of the future and our productivity and collaboration experiences like Teams and SharePoint, to horizontal 3rd party solutions like SAP and Adobe. As a steward of Microsoft and our customer’s data, a core function of Microsoft Digital is ensuring the security of every aspect of the business. Microsoft Digital is responsible for company-wide information security and compliance, with a strategic focus on information protection, assessment, awareness, governance, and enterprise business continuity. Microsoft Digital’s charter is also to influence and work alongside engineers across the company and with strategic partners to build and grow their cloud products and services. As customer zero, we deploy these services inside Microsoft and then share best practices with enterprise customers at scale across the globe.
Want to help drive the future of employee productivity using innovative technologies? Want to work across a variety of product groups and business organizations to leverage the latest and greatest technologies? Then look no further.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineering Manager who will be part of the Digital Workplace (DW) engineering team in Microsoft Digital and will contribute to the Digital Transformation of Microsoft by building employee experiences on web/mobile and kiosks. The vision of DW team is to create and operate work environments that are comfortable, functional, collaborative, and efficient. It enables employees to realize their potential and helps Microsoft achieve significant business results. DW team provides global employees with a wide range of services essential for team collaboration and innovation, including dining/catering, shuttle/commute, meetings, reception/office upgrades/maintenance, and emergency prep and security. As an indicator of the scale of operations, this team covers 44 million square feet of office space, encompassing 600+ buildings across ~100 countries. This is a critical initiative for Microsoft SLT and a big area of investment.
The ideal candidate will play a significant role working with different stakeholders like engineering PMs, Software Engineers and Architects across Microsoft to identify opportunities, coordinate solutions (adjust priorities, define new features, co-design/develop) and accelerate delivery of key technology services and capabilities to ensure the best end-to-end customer and employee experiences.
This team is primarily located in Redmond, WA. The preferred Work Location is Redmond, WA. This role requires working within US Pacific time zone business hours and is eligible for relocation support to Redmond, WA.
- Develop and grow a healthy, diverse team, mentor great engineers, and be a great role model of a service quality first -obsessed and data-driven Engineering Leader.
- Anticipate, identify, assess, track, and mitigate project risks and issues.
- Collaborate continuously with a global team of Program Managers, Software Engineering, Business Users, and stakeholders to clearly articulate business outcomes and objectives and measure reliability, availability and performance of our services including internal services and external integrations.
- Engage partner with engineering leads across product teams and influence product roadmap and feature that help both internal and external customers in smart building vertical.
- Champion – advocate, mentor and help mature team members in the Scrum Agile Framework, live site, and DevOps environment.
- Lead technical team that build cloud scale platform and services.
The successful candidate must have deep technical aptitude, great communication and cross-group skills, strong customer focus, a can-do attitude, and the ability to jump in and get the job done in a fast-paced and stimulating environment. The candidate must also have experience working in a team environment, running, and designing enterprise scale services and platforms, technical depth in cloud platforms, agile development practices, and experience in designing & tuning telemetry.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Software Design, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required
- 10+ years' minimum experience in Software Engineering, Software Development, or Software Design
- 2+ years as people manager with 5+ direct reports
- Experience with microservices and serverless architectures on Azure or equivalent cloud solutions
- Passion for innovation and a vision for how technology can add ambient intelligence to the workplace.
- Experience shaping a DevOps culture with a vision for building and nurturing an innovation while maintaining a Live Site focus.
- Able to work independently on the most complex code contributions of a feature.
- Experience running and designing enterprise scale services and platforms and technical depth in cloud platforms.
- 12+ years software development experience in full product cycle: design, development, release, and maintenance.
- 5+ years of experience delivering scalable and resilient services at large enterprise.
- This team is primarily located in Redmond, WA. The preferred Work Location is Redmond, WA.
- This role requires working within US Pacific time zone business hours and is eligible for relocation support to Redmond, WA.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.