Quality Principal - Discovery and Admissions Engine
Kitchener, ON, Canada
At ApplyBoard, we are building a movement - an education revolution. We’re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education.
We are a company with an ambitious vision - to educate the world. Since our founding in 2015, we have supported more than 100,000 students with their education journey and work with 1,200+ educational institutions across Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom diversify their campuses.
As part of the Discovery and Admissions Engine team, your mission is to provide services and capabilities that enable ApplyBoard’s service teams to best service our Students and Recruitment Partners throughout their journey from discovery to admission.
Your team will do this by providing an easily navigable and accessible information system that delivers timely and accurate information about schools and programs including their respective eligibility, other known requirements, and availability information. Your team will deliver an applicant and application management system that is easy to use, scalable, and performant that ensures applicants (applications) meet all the respective eligibility and other known requirements. Additionally - Your team will work to ensure the system is able to provide timely and accurate applicant (application) status updates that are easily accessible to internal stakeholders and systems.
As the Quality Principal, you are responsible for driving and ensuring the quality of the software in the Recruitment and Channel Management Domains. This includes the creation, evolvement, and tracking testing in concert with the establishment of appropriate test plans. The Quality Principal will work and co-ordinate with the software engineers to measure and track the quality metrics including things such as defects and coverage. This role includes tracking the quality of issues and defects in production and ensuring that the issues are tracked and resolved appropriately.
The quality principal will coordinate with the other members of the quality team to ensure that quality and testing is inclusive of integrations, system, and regression tests and test coverage is delivered.
What you’ll be doing every day:
- Work with DevOPs/Development team to implement overall testing plan including unit testing, API and end to end tests
- Create and execute comprehensible, repeatable, and measurable regression test suites for new and existing functionality.
- Identify, evaluate, report and document defects during the design and implementation phase.
- Escalate issues to Development and QA Management quickly and effectively.
- Analyze, epics and stories to validate project requirements to achieve quality end user experience
- Enhance enterprise standards where gaps exist
- Help with root cause analysis, which may identify issues in the API, DB, reporting, front end or even requirements
- Improve the quality and usefulness of existing features, by refactoring, decomposition, bug-fixing and preventive maintenance
- Identify and act on opportunities to improve the way we plan, develop, test and deploy our software
- Lead by example in the practice and promotion of excellence in software engineering
- Serve as an active mentor to less-experienced developers
What you bring to the table:
- Minimum 5 years of testing experience, ideally in ecommerce solutions
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in a TDD environment
- Several years of practical experience developing and testing web-based commercial software that users love (in any modern tech stack)
- Great communication skills. (Yes, everyone writes that - but we really mean it.)
- Demonstrated ownership and pride in the quality of the software you work on, and the way that it succeeds in meeting the needs of its users
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with Product Owners, Developers, Scrum Masters, DevOps, and IT to ensure delivery of a quality application.
- Strong development experience with SQL, UNIX, scripting (Ruby and Java)Experience working with online payment platforms
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor of Science Degree or higher education (Computer Science or related field is an asset)
Ideally, you also have experience with some of:
- Ruby, Rails, React, Typescript
- Developing and maintaining products that are used by many thousands or millions of people
- EdTech, eCommerce, or content-management software
- Relational databases, ORM frameworks, and their alternatives
- Microservices or SOA; RESTful APIs, JSON
- Kafka, Amazon MQ, RabbitMQ or similar streaming or messaging systems
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack
- DevOps, Observability, Infrastructure as Code
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have an impact on a product that is positively affecting change to thousands of students lives every day
- Working alongside a brilliant and globally diverse team based in Waterloo and Toronto
- Great compensation and benefits package to keep you healthy and happy!
Life at ApplyBoard:
By joining our team, you have the opportunity to:
· Join the fastest-growing technology company in Canada, with many opportunities for growth and advancement.
· Work alongside a globally diverse team of over 500 team members based in 18 countries, who represent over 30 nationalities and speak more than 40 languages
· Make a difference in the lives of thousands of students as they explore educational opportunities
Hear our engineers share stories about their life at ApplyBoard
ApplyBoard simplifies the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions on one platform. To date, ApplyBoard has become the world’s largest online platform for international student recruitment, assisting more than 100,000 students with their educational journey.
In 2019, ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list. In May 2020, ApplyBoard announced a C$100M Series C funding on a C$2B valuation, reaching a ‘Unicorn’ status. This funding will allow us to further invest in our technology, grow our team, and serve more students on our mission to educate the world.
Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard. Please note that only qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we provide equal opportunity to applicants regardless of race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction.
If you require an accommodation to submit an application and/or during the interview process, please notify the Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com. Requests will be addressed confidentially.
Your application has been successfully submitted.