Director Compensation – Microsoft Acquisition and Venture Success (MAVS)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Come build community, explore your passions, and do your best work. If you join the Microsoft Acquisition and Venture Success Total Rewards (MAVS TR) team, you will join an HR organization that enables our Microsoft employees to do and bring their best and ensures Microsoft is an exceptional place to work. Your expertise and leadership will leverage our total rewards programs and services and work together with our broader Microsoft Acquisition and Venture Success (MAVS) team to seamlessly integrate employees coming from acquired companies into Microsoft.
This critical role will greatly impact the success of million-to-billion dollars acquisitions.
Acquisitions, commercial partnerships, joint ventures, and all other company transactions are integral to Microsoft’s long-term growth strategy. As Compensation Director in MAVS TR, you will drive value by understanding the strategy and value drivers of a deal and providing total rewards consultation, expertise, and design that align with the strategy and talent management needs to ensure a successful transaction. You will be expected to effectively collaborate and drive clarity across the broader MAVS organization, demonstrate strong project management capabilities, generate energy through a bias towards action, and deliver results through acquisition success.
This opportunity will allow you to develop deep business acumen, hone your consulting skills, become adept at how to manage large, complex deals, and accelerate your career path. This role is flexible in that you will be able to partner with your Manager to define the way that you’d like to work, whether that is in the office or from home.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, and we’re dedicated to this mission across every aspect of our company. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. Join us and help shape the future of the world.
Program Design and Adaptation
- Develops and advocates a compelling, long-term vision and strategy for the design and adaptation of compensation programs; leads the evaluation of current compensation programs and ensure their alignment with business needs.
- Coordinates compensation strategy with Microsoft's organizational objectives and company plan performance; anticipates and considers business needs while ensuring cross-program alignment; in partnership with HRBP, gains support from senior leadership for complex, company-wide or large regional in-business (e.g., across a profession with complex pay structure) compensation programs by identifying resources required and applying best practices.
- Drives and oversees broad program design and adaptation by guiding teams to build and communicate business cases for new or changing compensation programs (e.g., promotions, stock awards, base pay, recognition, in-business programs), leading the acceptance of the overall costs, principles, and impact of proposed changes with senior executives in partnership with HRBP, and creating company-wide communication strategies.
- Oversees and influences process for analyses (e.g., job evaluations, job classifications/job matching, total compensation analysis) using market data and internal/external measures such as surveys and polls; designs internal compensation analysis tools using knowledge of business needs and industry trends.
- Acts as a company-wide expert and thought leader across an entire domain in compensation program implementation; advises leadership on unusually complex, risky, and critical issues; leads or participates in key phases of the process (e.g., annual salary planning).
- Coaches and suggests modifications to company-wide implementation plans for compensation; ensures cross-program implementation and integration with existing Rhythm of Business (ROB, or performance and development cycle); provides guidance and supports key activities that are led by HRBP (e.g., quote attainment analysis, plan communication, special stock, rewards, annual compensation activities).
- Leads interactions and sponsors proactive outreach initiatives with internal and external advisors (e.g., Legal, Diversity & Inclusion, external survey vendors) to anticipate implications of compensation change and readiness plans; synthesizes and incorporates a variety of complex and/or conflicting guidance from advisors to implement programs within appropriate parameters.
- Acts as leading expert, both company-wide and across the industry, for major compensation programs (e.g., Go-to-Market, Engineering professions); evaluates compensation processes and impact of new compensation models; translates program effectiveness (e.g., participation, attrition impact) to stakeholders in partnership with HRBP, and ensures that outcomes are aligned with broader organizational goals and cross-program objectives.
- Oversees the development and management of complex, high-risk projects by collaborating with internal and external partners and providing compensation consulting to leadership to inform major decisions and planning; evaluates the effectiveness and business impact of compensation programs and processes.
- Leads the implementation of short- and long-term compensation solutions leveraging understanding of business objectives and challenges; presents solutions to executive leadership to gain buy-in in partnership with HRBP.
- Defines strategy and philosophy for establishing compensation guidelines aligned with market competitiveness and global business strategy; advises HRBP on how to apply company policies and procedures to execute compensation processes and practices; identifies control measures and governance needs, and guides teams to design and adhere to governance and compliance processes.
Supplier Selection & Management
- Manages and approves large-scale supplier selection as appropriate; identifies suppliers and oversees screening processes for the organization.
- Establishes guidelines and standards for supplier selection, contracting, and on-boarding in global compensation programs.
- Advises and identifies opportunities to leverage the existing vendor base by setting strategy, directing execution, and managing key relationships.
Compensation Education & Consultation
- Develops onboarding and training materials to educate others on compensation programs, policies, practices, and customized compensation solutions; may deliver training on specific compensation programs/processes to high-level audiences across the organization by leveraging deep program expertise.
- Independently handles the most complex compensation questions (e.g., Tier IV escalations) from internal executive clients (e.g., Senior leadership team) and delivers solutions, often in ambiguous or unusual circumstances; analyzes patterns of issues to assess future needs; coaches internal partners on compensation-related decisions, including implications and mitigation strategies.
- Consults with internal partners on escalated and/or highly critical situations in which customized solutions (e.g., retention, competitive offers) may be necessary; creates solutions and advises HRBP on customized compensation design and implementation as appropriate.
- Required/Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field AND 10+ years related work experience
- OR 12+ years directly related compensation work experience
- OR 15+ years general HR experience or other related work experience.
- Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field AND 15+ years compensation, general HR, or related business work experience.
- Compensation project management experience.
- Compensation program design experience.
- 2+ years experience working in the specific position's relevant regional labor, compensation, and statutory context.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.