Content Marketing Manager
Vancouver, BC, Canada
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 9000th client and our 500th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What does the Marketing department look like?
We’re on a mission to bring financial mastery to a million entrepreneurs. We believe that creating the best educational content anywhere on the internet about small business finances is going to help us get there.
Right now, the number of monthly visitors to our blog has grown more than 300% year over year. You’ll be in charge of managing a rocketship and adding even more fuel to take the Bench blog to Mars (and beyond). How you get there is up to you. In this role, you’ll have the freedom, ownership, and responsibility for creating the strategy to upgrade our content game and spread the word about Bench to millions of American small business owners.
It may be hard to believe that a humble, online bookkeeping service could change lives, but the reactions we have from the entrepreneurs we serve—from tears of relief, emphatic thanks, major press and accolades, and even marriage proposals—suggests that we are, one entrepreneur at a time.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Owning client generation for the Bench content channels (blog, YouTube, and beyond)
- Creating the content roadmap for the Bench blog, writing weekly briefs, and editing all content prior to it being published
- Performing all search engine optimization for the blog, including keyword research, on-page SEO, and monitoring of overall blog site health
- Managing both in-house and freelance writers to ensure content is produced at a regular cadence and to the highest quality
- Updating existing content on the blog when new information becomes available
- Guest-posting on other websites for backlinks and awareness
- Producing content for YouTube, including creating video scripts, conducting YouTube keyword research, and optimizing existing videos for SEO
- Using analytics tools to understand trends in blog performance and making changes accordingly
- Identifying new opportunities to grow traffic coming to the blog and/or increase the lead generation rate of the blog
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Top-notch writing and editing skills
- You will be the unifying voice of the blog. The successful candidate will be able to recognize great writing, and more importantly, be able to give feedback and editorial direction to solicit high-quality writing from a team of writers.
- Experience with search engine optimization
- The successful candidate will have experience using keyword research to determine which types of articles to prioritize to attract high volumes of qualified visitors, effectively using those keywords within content to maximize the likelihood of the article being discovered organically, and providing regular updates on the overall performance of the Bench blog as measured by metrics such as unique visitors and search rankings. The successful candidate will have experience with SEO research tools such as Ahrefs, and have a basic understanding of HTML.
- Experience managing content for a high-traffic blog
- The successful candidate will be responsible for producing all content that is published on our Bench blog, at a cadence of approximately 4-5 articles per week (today at least). Having experience working with freelancers, writing content briefs, editing articles, and updating existing articles will be part of the core responsibilities of this position. The successful candidate will be equipped to continue growing the number of monthly unique visitors to the blog and will have experience working with a content management platform (we use Contentful).
- A demonstrated ability to take initiative
- The successful candidate will be expected to own the performance of the Bench blog. They will need past experience successfully working autonomously and taking risks with new ideas, whether or not those ideas were ultimately successful. The successful candidate will be relied upon to generate new ideas for how our content strategy can be improved so that we can continue to see massive year-over-year growth.
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Experience with Google Analytics, Heap, or a similar web analytics tool
- Our team is very data-driven and uses Google Analytics and Heap to track performance. It’s preferred that the successful candidate has some experience using an analytics tool to measure content performance as it will allow the successful candidate to step easily into the team.
- 3+ years of experience in digital marketing, with a focus on content management
Extra bonus points if you have:
- YouTube content production experience
- The Inbound Marketing team has found success with driving more visitors to the Bench blog and core website by publishing engaging videos on YouTube. Having experience with YouTube keyword research, optimizing YouTube videos for search, and writing scripts for YouTube videos would be a plus!
- Experience making complex information engaging and digestible
- The Bench blog aims to make content engaging so that business owners can educate themselves and learn more about the problems we’re solving. Having experience with taking content that may not be extremely exciting to most people and simplifying it to be more approachable would be another super helpful addition.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- We are open to remote work for the right candidate.
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our dog-friendly office is downtown and easily accessible via transit and is close to lots of great restaurants.
- Once safe to do, we'll return to work in our downtown Vancouver office. It's dog-friendly, close to lots of great restaurants, and easily accessible via transit. We also pride ourselves on our office coffee and the fridge is always stocked, compliments of Bench
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.