Engineering Manager, App Platform (Remote anywhere in North America / South America)
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to lead one of growing engineering teams at Zapier. Interested in helping build the tool for partners and developers that powers automation for millions of professionals? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
We encourage you to apply if you're motivated by building effective engineering teams and are happy to roll up your sleeves and dive into code when needed.
You are an effective team builder. You’ve managed Engineering teams for at least two years. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers before.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders from various disciplines, balancing engineering concerns, such as technical debt and architectural direction, with customer and user concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions.
You are a skilled engineering leader. You've got a background in leading a team of Backend Engineers working in our stack (Python, Django or React, ES6 or Node.js, etc.). You’ll guide and challenge your team on architectural and technical implementation plans and decisions by ensuring they have the right technical context.
You have worked in a service-based architecture. You understand the benefits and drawbacks of different architectural models. Bonus if you’ve helped a team or organization transition from a monolithic to services-based architecture.
You’re comfortable building and executing your team’s roadmap. While this role will work cross-functionally with our Architecture and other engineering teams, you will drive the vision and strategy with your team. Bonus if you’ve had experience acting as a PM or TPM for an engineering team.
You're adaptable. You've been in fast growing companies and know how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Work closely with your enginees to create and develop a high-performing team that tackles user problems and solutions.
- Build and lead the strategy and roadmap for our App Platform team and partner closely with the architecture team to help migrate a critical component of our product to a services architecture.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress via one-on-one meetings, regular update posts, and regular business reviews.
- Build rapport with each member of the engineering team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Learn and spread technical knowledge relevant to your team throughout Zapier -- moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Ensure the team has the right context to make good technical implementation and architectural decisions.
- Collaborate across various disciplines (other Engineering Managers, Product Managers, Designers, Researchers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve business goals through engineering best practices.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and grow new engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews or writing better documentation.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
For the past 9 years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: North or South America
Our team of 350+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Travel of 5% - 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to UK, Canada, and US-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Your application has been successfully submitted.