We are seeking an experienced Cloud Engineer to join our Product team!
Zapier's embedded Cloud Engineers work closely with engineering teams to help them build production-ready services. You'll be acting as the bridge between developers and our core SRE team. We look to our embedded SREs to ensure services are easy to deploy, monitored, highly-available, and resilient. You will act as an advisor to your service team and will help make design decisions. You'll be providing input into our core infrastructure and helping to select technologies used across our engineering organization.
To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier:
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
We're looking for an experienced operations engineer who is eager to use software development approaches to operations. You should have a breadth of operations experience, be actively practicing site reliability principles, and are familiar with DevOps. We're continually improving our approaches to DevOps and SRE, and there are plenty of learning opportunities. You'll be an excellent fit for this role if you can think about systems and how they fit into the overall picture, how they fail, and how to implement them.
You will have several years of experience in practicing DevOps and writing code to automate operations. You should have familiarity with tools automation tools like Ansible, Terraform, ArgoCD or others. You’ll know your way around Linux, and be familiar with containers (Kubernetes is our platform of choice.)
We operate entirely in the cloud, and you should have hands-on experience with cloud providers like AWS (the one we use.) Experience owning, maintaining, and supporting production services in the cloud is important.
As a bonus, well-honed experience with the fundamentals of software development will help you thrive in this role. You should know when BASH is getting out of hand and it’s time to use a different tool.
Writing is our primary means of communication, from pull requests, team chat, knowledge sharing, and communicating changes. Excellent writing skills are crucial to success here at Zapier. We are 100% remote and commonly work asynchronously. We even wrote a book on it.
You should feel comfortable taking a default to action. Most decisions are changeable. It's better to deliver something real today over something maybe better later. Sharing context, goals, objectives, and in-progress work in public helps us all achieve a common goal.
Things You’ll Do
- Use AWS, Kubernetes and other cloud-native tools to achieve your objectives
- Deploy new applications and services with full CI/CD pipelines
- Implement observability tools, monitoring systems, and alerting
- Automate manual tasks using scripts or programming languages
- Migrate services out of existing systems as part of our microservice strategy
- Participate in post mortems and root cause investigations
- Share knowledge and mentor engineers
- Maintain good relationships with Site Reliability Engineering, and participate in the SRE Guild
- Implement strategies to handle bursts in workloads, improve resilience disaster recovery
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
We're currently hiring for the following locations:
- North America
- South America
- New Zealand
- Eastern Australia
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
* Currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US, UK, and Canadian employees.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
Your application has been successfully submitted.