Vancouver, BC, Canada
A letter from our Head of Engineering:
We’re up to something big at Bench. We’re figuring out how we can combine technology with human ingenuity to drastically simplify the financial lives of a million entrepreneurs.
Bench’s first and most important cultural principle is Keep it Human. It applies to how we prioritize the personal wellbeing of our clients, how we methodically build a culture that allows us to be 100% ourselves at work, and how we build our technology.
Bench isn’t a SaaS company, and it isn’t a services company. It’s somewhere right in the middle. As an Engineering organization, this means we have two big groups of users: our colleagues and our clients. We work very closely with our colleagues (Benchmates) to ensure that the tools we build empower them to provide the human touch with our clients. For our clients, the tools we build simplify their financials so that the conversations they do have with us are focused more on how their business can succeed than how to do their books.
The work we do matters. This has become especially clear during COVID-19. This crisis has taught us that we make great business decisions when we truly care about the wellbeing of our clients. Through this commitment, we’ve been able to support over 3500 small businesses in accessing relief loans that were literally the only chance they had to stay afloat. With the world on lockdown, having a real human bookkeeper who can talk you through your problems has been a huge relief for our clients. We’ve also had over 3.5 million visitors to our blog, which has become the top resource on the internet for information about US government financial relief programs during COVID-19.
There are so many things in between us and achieving our mission. The challenge of providing a real human experience at scale. The terrible data provided by traditional banks. The huge proliferation of merchant processors, e-wallets, and payroll providers. Competition from software-only competitors with huge balance sheets. It’s a big list, but we’ve got a roadmap that we believe in.
I need help. I’m looking for a principal engineer to help me guide our technology and shape our organization so that we can both achieve our mission and foster incredible growth in our team. There are so many aspects of technology that I’m not expert in, and I need a partner to help me understand the opportunities that modern technologies can open up for us. I need someone to help me build a risk- and security-conscious culture that isn’t stuffy or restrictive. Finally, I need someone who understands that software isn’t about algorithms and infrastructure, it’s about having impact on human beings at scale. If this resonates with you, please take a look at our job duties below.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I can’t wait to meet you.
Head of Engineering
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Breadth of understanding that covers Frontend, Backend, Security, Data, and Infrastructure
- Depth of understanding in the modern best practices for at least three of the above
- Demonstrable ability to architect technology to support and ideally accelerate company strategy
- Demonstrable ability to create systems that elevate the engineering quality of an organization
- Excellent technical communication skills (for both technical and non-technical stakeholders)
- Ability to and interest in mentoring our most senior engineers
It’s an even better fit if you have:
- Technical leadership experience in a medium or large engineering organization
- Experience building security programs
- Expertise in Site Reliability Engineering (SRE)
- Experience with defining and implementing world class engineering culture
Bonus points if you have:
- Evidence of participation in the development world beyond the company that you work in (speaking at conferences, writing about technology, etc)
The extra details:
- Curious what life on our Engineering team is like? Check out our blog on Medium. We recommend starting with this capost about our blameless culture, and this post about how we ship code.
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Once safe to do, we'll return to work in our downtown Vancouver office. It's dog-friendly, close to lots of great restaurants, and easily accessible via transit. We also pride ourselves on our office coffee and the fridge is always stocked, compliments of Bench
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.