We are looking for In-House Counsel to partner with teams across Thoughtexchange to support legal and business initiatives, all while enabling our business to remain innovative and protecting our guiding principles and our company’s best interests. The ideal candidate will be highly collaborative, forward-thinking and have a penchant for creativity because a surprising amount of what we need legally hasn’t been invented yet.
Thoughtexchange is the world’s most advanced crowd communication software company, we help leaders listen to the unheard voices and tap into the collective intelligence of their companies and communities. Millions of thoughts have been shared and rated on the Thoughtexchange platform and with a fresh round of financing, Thoughtexchange is ready to scale.
In this role, you will work cross-functionally to support teams including Senior Leadership, Operations, People, Revenue, Finance and Corp Development across a wide range of initiatives including contracts regarding procurement, SaaS agreements, Intellectual Property licensing, employee agreements, and security and privacy regulatory frameworks. This role reports to the VP of Corporate Development.
This role is remote and open to candidates based in Canada.
What you’ll be doing:
- Using your legal skillset to build a strong business acumen
- Work closely with our revenue team to negotiate SaaS agreements and various levels of procurement contracts
- Design and update employment agreements, stock ownership agreements, contractor agreements and NDAs
- Support our security and privacy team and develop expertise in emerging security and privacy regulatory frameworks: GDPR, PIPEDA, etc
- Become an expert on creating, protecting, sharing and otherwise transacting in various types of intellectual property, including patent, trademark, copyright and “copyleft”
- Implement and design scalable contracting frameworks and standards to support our fast growing company
- Support the continuous improvement of various external and internal business processes
- Provide general legal advice and counsel to our teams as needed
- Creatively engage with the dynamic balance of when we need written policies and when we don’t. When we do, communicating those in a clear, respectful and collegial way
What we think you’ll bring to the role:
- You are an attorney, L.L.B, J.D. or equivalent and a member in good standing with the Law Society, who’s been in practice for 2-5 years
- Experience in commercial, corporate or employment law is an asset
- Experience with navigating data privacy issues in a commercial context is a plus
- Collaborative team player with excellent communication skills and the ability to work on a broad range of tasks/projects as needed to help out the broader business and team objectives
- You gravitate toward win-win solutions and understand that risk is to be embraced, and not something to be avoided at all cost. You can then use strong legal and business judgment with the ability both to assess risks quickly and to communicate those risks to teams in non-legal language
- Ability to roll up sleeves to dig into tasks/projects/research with input as required
- Experience working in a fast paced environment and you are highly flexible when faced with ambiguity
- Exceptionally organized and detail orientated as well as being able to step back and see the big picture
- Ability to use technology to solve problems or improve processes where applicable
- You have some experience in supporting B2B SaaS companies or have a keen interest in learning what that is
Mutual respect and reciprocation is the lifeblood of our company. And a working relationship isn’t just about what you can do for us - it’s also about who we are, and what we can do for you.
Who we are:
• Thoughtexchange is the world’s most advanced crowd communication software company, we help leaders listen to the unheard voices and tap into the collective intelligence of their companies and communities. Millions of thoughts have been shared and rated on the Thoughtexchange platform.
• Over 160 inspired people work at Thoughtexchange. Their collective experience, ranging from academia to nonprofit to “I’m a high-school dropout who loves Brené Brown’s work and really wants to make a difference”, make our company the very special place it is.
• Our investors believe in us, too. We’ve previously closed over $18M of investment from some of Canada’s top angels, and we recently closed $30 million in Series B funding with a syndicate of incredible US and Canadian investors. To say that we are ready for take off is an understatement.
What we offer:
• Growth and opportunity. Sure, we offer perks such as training and professional development. But beyond that, you’ll find yourself surrounded by mentors from all walks of life, each with a unique set of skills and experience that brought them here.
• Community. We like getting to know one another both in and out of the workplace, whether it’s collaborating in our virtual company meetings, connecting over donut dates or getting together in our offices or on the road.
• Fulfillment. It’s hard to find yourself counting down the days until Friday when you can see and feel the impact what you’re doing makes on the world. Take a skim through our blog and see what we mean.
• Job satisfaction. We don’t mean to brag, but people love working here.
• Work and life. If we’re not able to take work out of our life when we need to, we’re not able to put our life into our work when we want to. With flex time and remote work opportunities, make anywhere your office and collaborate with teammates in our three offices throughout the Lower Mainland and Kootenays.
• Ownership. In addition to competitive pay and benefits, employees receive share options when joining the company. Additional options are awarded throughout your Thoughtexchange career based on ongoing contributions to the company.
At Thoughtexchange, we make better decisions and build better products by supporting, encouraging and celebrating the diverse voices of our employees. We recognize that we have more work to do to create a workforce that truly represents those who our product serves and the communities we live in. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations, and life experiences to apply.
Your application has been successfully submitted.