Threat Detection Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help change the way we secure GitHub. We are looking for an experienced Threat Detection Manager to lead our remotely distributed detection engineering team focused on identifying and responding to security threats against GitHub and Azure DevOps(ADO).
Interested in leading efforts related to building and tuning scalable detection and enrichment systems, threat hunting, MITRE ATT&CK, or response automation?
As our Threat Detection Manager, you will work alongside other members of the GitHub Security and Engineering organizations to lead an awesome team of threat detection professionals. You will develop and mature a comprehensive threat detection program, plan new detection work according to company growth and threat intelligence trends, and foster effective, sustainable process development. A successful applicant will have a desire to lead and develop a healthy and inclusive team responsible for detecting and hunting a variety of adversaries in diverse environments at scale.
Threat Detection Manager Responsibilities
- Lead and develop a dedicated team of threat detection professionals
- Maintain a healthy team culture based in excellence and empathy
- Plan, balance, and prioritize team activity in response to company growth and changing threat landscapes
- Coordinate measurable threat detection and hunting activity across a complex technical environment at scale
- Develop and mature threat detection process and integration with threat intelligence resources
- Closely partner with dedicated corporate security and incident response resources to identify, investigate, and mitigate threats
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Significant experience with the entire threat detection lifecycle and collaborating with incident response, corporate security, security engineering, and threat intelligence resources
- Several years experience effectively managing and working with distributed and remote security teams
- The ability to take a pragmatic, risk-based approach to decision making while applying practical security principles and practices
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with a strong sense of empathy
- Proven experience guiding risk-based strategic and tactical technical decision making and execution
- Experience operating a threat detection program mapped to the MITRE ATT&CK framework
- Experience supporting governance and compliance requirements
- 5+ years or demonstrable proficiency in threat detection
- General experience in the following disciplines with deep experience in one or more:
- Log analysis: Large scale analysis of standard and custom log types using client and server side log analysis tools such as Splunk, ELK, Kusto, and Sentinel
- Familiarity with file system, memory, or live response on MacOS, Linux, and Windows
- Network traffic analysis: Analyze network telemetry from intrusion detection systems and flow monitoring systems
- Detection development: Host and network level detection with tools such as osquery, yara, auditd, etc
- Threat intelligence: Collection, analysis, production, or consumption of threat data and finished intelligence
- Experience using or securing Linux day-to-day in a production environment
- Development experience with Python, Ruby, Bash, or Powershell
- Experience working with git, GitHub, and Microsoft Azure
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
How people build software.