Head of UX Writing
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Shape the Stripe voice and product experience
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We think that building a modern business is a problem rooted in code and design, not finance. We also believe that there are far too many barriers to doing business on the internet and that the opportunities to do it are not equally distributed throughout the world. To break down those barriers and make the opportunities available to anyone, we’re designing the future of tools and infrastructure for starting, running, and scaling an online business—from anywhere in the world.
Design at Stripe is a rapidly scaling org totaling 100 people across several different disciplines, including Product Design, Research, Design Operations, Web Presence & Platform, Brand Design, and of course UX Writing.
We’re looking for a Head of UX Writing to shape the future of the Stripe product experience, as we continue to scale. Working across the organization, this leader will drive consistency and quality in user experience through content strategy. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative leader with the right balance of vision, expertise and devotion to excellence, business knowledge, and ability to drive action. They will have a driving curiosity to push boundaries across disciplines and work closely with product designers, researchers, design operations, product managers, and engineers to create delightful products and features that educate users and grow their businesses.
Stripe, at its core, strives to simplify what has traditionally been complex. As the leader of the UX Writing team, you will build out a function that strives to simplify while “talking up” to our sophisticated and knowledgeable audience. The UX Writing team helps set the vision for and deliver on our product strategy, narrative, in-product content, and information architecture. The team establishes a consistent tone of voice, creates style guides for effective in-product communication, taxonomy, and builds tools and infrastructure to make it easier for the rest of Stripe to write and publish quality content.
As the manager of this burgeoning team, we’re looking for an experienced leader who will have the opportunity to both build Stripe’s UX Writing infrastructure from the ground up and recruit and develop a highly talented team of UX Writers (or content strategists). We go to extraordinary lengths to produce world-class work, and you will get a chance to both apply your hard-earned experience and stretch and build your skills in an organization where your area of work is highly valued.
- Manage, mentor, and inspire a team of UX Writers, providing direction and pushing the quality of the work
- Refine and promote UX Writing as a function across Stripe
- Establish, test, refine, and represent the voice of our users through our products
- Ensure our writing is clear, consistent, human, and accessible
- Grow the team to meet business demands and employee development needs
- Drive the strategy and planning for the discipline of UX Writing across the Design team and the company
- Lead and represent your team, drive the work and the decisions behind them, and be a champion for user-centered content
- Streamline processes and writing workflows, setting the bar for documentation, guidance, writing style, and collaboration with localization
- Identify opportunities for the UX Writing team to offer a content strategy perspective throughout the product development process, and lead projects and initiatives
- Build relationships with product design, research, brand, design operations, localization, engineering, product, and marketing partners
- Scale the UX Writing team to meet our ambitious growth plans
- Report to the Head of Design and sit on the Design Leadership Team
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Extraordinary skills in both written and spoken communication
- Relentless user focus and whose best work is done in a highly collaborative way
- Experience methodically and successfully developing the skills and careers of team members
- Experience working across a global set of products
- An ability to think big and understand complex feature sets
- An ability to work at different altitudes as a leader and have superb attention to detail
- A solid understanding of design process, leveraging research, data, and UX best practices
- Appreciation for the speed of a high-growth startup, keeping pace with change and shaping the team as we go
Nice to haves:
- 10+ years of UX Writing experience (or equivalent Design experience)
- 5+ years of management experience, leading a growing team in a rapidly scaling organization
You should include these in your application:
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- Your portfolio or writing samples
Your application has been successfully submitted.