Head of Research
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Put Stripe’s users first.
Design at Stripe
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We think that building a modern business is a problem rooted in code and design, not finance. We also believe that there are far too many barriers to doing business on the internet and that the opportunities to do it are not equally distributed throughout the world. To break down those barriers and make the opportunities available to anyone, we’re designing the future of tools and infrastructure for starting, running, and scaling an online business—from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a Head of Research who is passionate about leading a diverse set of researchers to help Stripe be the most user-focused company in the world and deliver meaningful business impact by leveraging qualitative and quantitative product and market research.
About the User Research team and the role
The User Research team, as part of Stripe’s Design team, collaborates with product and market teams at Stripe to deliver insight-driven user and product experiences. We agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences, so that the businesses we empower can deliver great experiences for their customers, too.
In addition to conducting primary research, we enable other Stripes (engineers, product managers, designers, operations, etc.) to learn and apply research skills to global problems. You will lead and scale a growing research team and continue to refine how Stripe puts users first. This is a full-time role based in San Francisco, Seattle, New York, or remote in North America.
For our next Head of Research, we’re looking for a very experienced leader who will scale up a highly-skilled group of researchers including the necessary research infrastructure. We go to extraordinary lengths to produce world-class work, and you will get a chance to both deploy your hard-earned experience and stretch and build your skills in an organization where your area of work is highly valued.
- Lead and manage the User Research team which includes qualitative, quantitative, user and market researchers and managers working across product and marketing teams.
- Hire and develop Research Managers and Researchers to meet business demands and organizational needs in a rapidly growing global company .
- Work with Design leadership to determine design and research direction and strategy.
- Develop deep partnerships with our Product Management, Marketing, and Engineering teams to deliver user insights that inform product and go-to-market decisions.
- Inspire and motivate a diverse team of researchers to do the best work of their careers by continuously improving how they employ UXR methods and drive product development using research insights.
- Develop programs that disseminate research broadly across Stripe and ensure users’ voices remain at the forefront of key strategic initiatives.
- Collaborate with Design Operations to inform, build, and scale the research infrastructure that makes it easier for Stripes to do more and better research.
- Expand our global focus by supporting distributed teams and building a research presence around the world .
- Play an integral role in cross-functional strategic planning efforts to understand and bridge business priorities with Design and Research investment and output.
- Enable other Stripes to learn and apply research skills by building research programs, platforms, and toolkits that empower them to effectively conduct quality research.
- Report to our Head of Design and be a member of the Design Leadership Team.
You may be fit for this role if:
- You’ve led a growing research team in a high-growth company and you excel at motivating and inspiring organizations to do their best work . A plus if your work includes developer-focused, B2B or enterprise products.
- You understand the balance between scrappy and rigor, and ultimately how research translates into design, product, and business decisions. Can balance working with urgency and adapt methodological rigor as needed for the situation.
- You relentlessly focus on users and solving for their needs and wants. You excel at driving impact from insights and making research actionable.
- You can direct complex research at scale and demonstrate the use of a variety of research methods, which may include qualitative interviews, surveys, ideation sessions, ethnographic field research, usability evaluation, and diary studies.
- Have enabled non-researchers to conduct research and have developed company-wide programs that balance teaching research skills with ensuring research quality and delivery of valid user insights.
- You are extraordinarily skilled in written and verbal communication and use them to coach, direct, and influence your teams and partners.
- You can demonstrate leadership skills that only time can teach: improving organizational health, growing and hiring new leaders, executing cross-functionally, and setting priorities effectively.
- You have experience mentoring, inspiring, and developing a team of user researchers as they hone their craft and engage in research.
- You’ve led geographically distributed teams and have successfully recruited incredible talent to your teams.
You should include these in your application:
- Your LinkedIn profile or resume
Your application has been successfully submitted.