Design Engineer, Web Presence (Remote USA)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Help us shape Stripe.com
Design at Stripe
There are far too many barriers to doing business online. Stripe was founded to overcome them—to increase the GDP of the Internet—and we think that achieving this is a problem rooted not just in finance, but in creativity of code and design.
Our substantive goal is to craft economic change. We’re designing infrastructure, products, surfaces, literature—all to help our users start, run, and grow an online business from anywhere in the world. We’re looking for a diverse group of people to join us.
Design is involved in almost everything Stripe does—from our events and brand voice, to our web and mobile products, and even printed publications like Stripe Press. Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products; on their behalf we agonize over the details. We want our user experiences to become second nature.
About the Web Presence & Platform team
The Web Presence & Platform (WPP) team at Stripe is a group of interactive designers, front-end specialists, web strategists, platform engineers, and every skill set in-between. We design and build stripe.com and other sites that amount to what is, for many, their first impression of Stripe.
We want to make every pixel count, we want it to be enthralling, and we want to help other Stripes seamlessly benefit from our systematic work.
About the role
As a full-stack engineer you’ll build new components in our library, use those components to build entire pages like stripe.com/billing and stripe.com/connect, and often build entire animations that distill a complex topic into a simple concept like stripe.com/checkout. You’ll constantly have in-browser performance in mind, and implement abstractions that other engineers consume and build upon. At other times you’ll work together with folks in our partner Content Platform group to scope and implement infrastructure and tooling that helps other people build pages using your code.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A zeal for the web as a storytelling medium, demonstrable through a portfolio of frontend work on design systems, engaging microsites, Figma plugins, webgl experiments, CSS art, or anything else—you tell us
- 4+ years of relevant web front-end development or creative technology experience at a tech-forward, product-driven company
- A good understanding of the formal elements of design, not just limited to the web and including typography, layout, balance, and proportion
- Experience building public facing websites that work elegantly across commonly used browsers
- Advanced knowledge of modern HTML and CSS
- Work closely with our team’s designers to prototype and implement web animations and interaction-heavy product launch materials on stripe.com
- Sometimes spend several days building individual pages, and sometimes spend several weeks building intricate and reusable front-end components
- Occasionally help other engineers on the team architect and implement the tools and infrastructure which powers Stripe’s go-to-market plans
- [If a remote candidate] Have prior experience as a remote member of a distributed team
- Help you focus on what you do best, and give you the opportunities to sharpen the skills you’re looking to develop
- Provide an environment in which you can thrive both as an individual, and as a member of a diverse community
- Give you the agency in your work to shape outcomes you can proudly own
- Help you partner closely with our user research team and support ongoing research projects
Please include these in your application:
- An online portfolio or compendium of example web projects you’ve built
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A 1-2 paragraph summary of your favorite project from any of your work or personal experiences
- A short paragraph on why you’ll flourish at Stripe
Your application has been successfully submitted.