Technical Operations, Cards & Money Movement
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Acceptance and Payouts
The Technical Operations team is a key component to Stripe’s global strategy. Our mission is to reduce the barriers faced by large and emerging businesses around the world by abstracting away the complexities of payments. The Technical Operations (TechOps) Team is responsible for the day-to-day health and stability of the financial infrastructure that moves funds into, around, and out of Stripe. Our work is critical to the entire lifecycle of money at Stripe. As we move money through payment networks (e.g. Visa, Boleto, Elo, OXXO), we have to ensure we correctly collect the funds, pay them out to our users, account for all of this movement, and keep an eye on everything in between.
This function will sit at the intersection of engineers and financial partners (Card Network, Banks, Acquirers, etc.) connecting them to ensure that everyone thrives and nothing is lost in translation. We partner closely with our engineering teams to deeply understand and tackle the technical and real-world challenges of Stripe’s payments stack.
On Technical Operations you may:
- Become a domain expert in an area of Stripe’s payments stack
- Handle inquiries from internal Stripes and external partners’ technical teams, often requiring detailed investigation and sometimes code changes
- Engage with Stripe’s financial partners to drive alignment on product usage, troubleshoot and solve technical problems or breakages
- Organize and direct complex technical changes and projects between Stripe and our partners
- Identify and automate inefficient or unnecessary manual processes through code changes, partner agreements, or making and coordinating more complex code changes across Stripe
- Design future anomaly detection systems and tools to ensure that data flowing through our partner and internal systems is reliable and correct
- Collaborate across the company, including engineering, accounting, financial partnerships and product, to trace and account for billions of dollars moving through the Stripe platform
Technical Operations roles are one part coding and one part managing projects. The ideal candidate will have experience in both, but successful candidates may index more highly in one or the other. We work mostly in Ruby and Java. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general coding skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
The ideal candidate possesses many of the following:
- Knowledge of and experience with payment technologies and ecosystems
- Have fluency and strong communication skills in English and Spanish
- Comfort using SQL to navigate Stripe’s data and diagnose the scope and urgency of issues
- Comfort with developer tools (e.g. git), and an ability to make well-scoped code changes in Stripe’s codebase
- Great technical problem-solving skills, with an ability to develop a working understanding of a technical system using a variety of methods. These include (but aren’t limited to): reading/writing code, reading documentation or partner specifications, running debugging programs, reading logs, asking well-formed questions to domain experts, or digging into the raw data through various interfaces.
- Great communication skills, with an ability to frame messages appropriately for technical and non-technical audiences
- The will to deliver results, with an ability to establish priorities and reliably execute on solutions (often with hard external deadlines)
- An instinct to produce work that increases the impact of others, and helps us scale and grow (e.g. documentation, tools)
Your application has been successfully submitted.