Staff Infrastructure Engineer, Compute
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Stripe’s infrastructure powers businesses all over the world. We process payments, run marketplaces, help entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, and more. Infrastructure engineers at Stripe build the systems that power all of our products, globally and at scale.Our users trust us with their businesses and livelihoods, and every request that Stripe handles is critical. We process billions of dollars every year for millions of users, from the largest enterprises to a startup making their first sale. We invest deeply in the reliability and security of our infrastructure to earn their trust.
You’ll join one of the teams behind the compute platforms used by the rest of engineering, such as our Cloud or Orchestration teams. You’ll make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe. There is a lot of work to do to make Stripe engineers’ work easier and our platforms even more reliable than they are today, and we’d love for you to be a part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems and we constantly get feedback that we use to make them better.
We’re looking for people with a strong background (or interest!) in cloud infrastructure. We’d love to hear from you whether you’ve been working with Kubernetes since its inception, or have just started learning more (perhaps you’ve been working on a different, related piece of the systems puzzle). Many of our infrastructure engineers work remotely, and we’d be happy to talk to you about the possibility of working remote.
Recent or in-progress ships include:
- Moving us to a region with no downtime. Last year, we needed to migrate AWS regions, and we pulled it off with no negative effects on our users and no downtime
- Several projects around deploying and running code: helping us instantly roll back bad deploys so that we can recover quickly, creating advanced staging environments, and building infrastructure that lets us scale up our API workers in seconds in response to high API load
- Moving Stripe’s AWS management tools into the cloud, and helping to strengthen our security posture
- Building our new managed service platform atop Kubernetes, and enabling other Stripe engineers to make the most of it, as well as developing the next set of tools and automation to support the platform.
- Host management and secrets management, with lots of collaboration from our Security team
- Lead technical conversations and decision making with other infrastructure and backend teams
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Mentor and grow the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
- Design, plan, build, and maintain tools for cloud infra and/or container management used by all of Stripe’s engineering teams
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Build a great customer experience for developers using your infrastructure
- Identify the shared compute needs across Stripe, understand their specific requirements, and prioritize solutions
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A strong software engineering and distributed systems background, with interest in cloud infrastructure (Bonus points if you’ve managed at least one cloud provider such as AWS, GCP, or Azure)
- Experience leading projects on a cross-team or company-wide scale, and mentoring other engineers at various stages in their careers
- Experience building infrastructure as a product centered around users’ needs
- Experience optimizing the reliability and security of distributed systems
- Experience with scaling and migrating systems in a changing environment that allows for little to no downtime
- Experience working with tools such as Puppet, Terraform, Jenkins, Chef, and/or Kubernetes
It’s not expected that you’ll have deep expertise in every dimension above, but you should be interested in learning any of the areas that are less familiar.
Who you’ll work with:
At Stripe, we encourage you to write and speak about your work and share your knowledge! Also, we think it’s important to get an idea of who you’ll be working with. Here are a few Stripe infrastructure engineers giving talks! (If you don’t like to give talks, that’s fine – many very well-respected Stripe engineers don’t.)
- Amy Nguyen, “UX Design and Education for Effective Monitoring Tools”
- Evan Broder, “The Architecture that Helps Stripe Move Faster”
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.