Staff Infrastructure Engineer, Batch Data Platform
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Build the services infrastructure platform powering economic growth
Stripe’s infrastructure powers businesses all over the world. We process payments, run marketplaces, help entrepreneurs start internet businesses around the world, and more. Infrastructure engineers at Stripe build the systems that run our products, globally and at scale.Our users trust us with their businesses and livelihoods, and every request that Stripe handles is critical. We process billions of dollars yearly for millions of users, from the largest enterprises to a startup making their first sale. To earn this trust, we invest deeply in our infrastructure.
The offline data platform teams own the infrastructure that ingests business data, processes and analyzes it, and makes it available to a wide variety of partner teams. Our platform empowers everything from ML-based customer-facing products to payment reconciliation to financial reporting. We must meet an extremely high bar for security, privacy, and reliability.
You will be a key contributor to the next evolution of our platform: moving from next-day to near-real-time processing allowing us to unlock new product capabilities. You will make a step-function difference in our ability to empower any Stripe to create and maintain predictable, observable pipelines. We believe in open source and as a part of this team you’ll find yourself working with the open source community in addition to Stripes.
As a Staff Engineer you’ll be empowered to make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe, and help guide our investments and strategy while making our systems reliable, secure, and a delight to use. There is a lot of work to do to make Stripe engineers’ data capabilities even more reliable and usable than they are today, and we’d love for you to be a part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems, and constantly get feedback to make their experiences better.
We’re looking for people with a strong background and demonstrated leadership in data platform technologies, ideally within the offline processing space. Staff Engineers at Stripe are empowered to operate autonomously, and are counted on to help drive Stripe forward.
- Lead technical conversations and decision making with other infrastructure and backend teams
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Anticipate and plan for the growth of Stripe’s offline data platform infrastructure
- Scope, design and implement platform solutions that make the appropriate tradeoffs between resiliency, durability, and performance
- Develop tooling and automate processes to provide a resilient and flexible platform for other engineers
- Help debug and solve critical infrastructure issues across our services and multiple levels of the stack
- Mentor and grow the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- Curiosity to learn and share knowledge with peers, and the motivation to empower others to be more productive
- Pleasure in anticipating how systems fail, how to observe and design robust systems, and building the right interfaces that encourage best practices
- A mature understanding to strike the balance between ideal and pragmatic solutions on a case-by-case basis
- 10+ years of experience in data platform engineering, software engineering, or systems engineering at a top tier software company
- Strong coding skills in Java, Scala, Go, or another language for building highly performant services
- Experience planning and driving large projects involving multiple stakeholders across an organization
- Strong understanding and practical experience with systems like Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Iceberg, and Airflow
- Strong understanding and practical experience in data platform fundamentals, including clustering, distributed systems, fault tolerance, networking, etc.
- Familiarity with the full life cycle of software development, from design and implementation to testing and deployment
- Experience in systems engineering at scale with regards to testing, reliability, security, and observability
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.