Staff Engineer, Commerce
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Join Stripe’s Commerce team to help us build the foundations that will power the next generation of online commerce. Stripe’s payments products have helped to accelerate many of the world’s most innovative companies, but we believe it is still far too hard to build an ecommerce business today. We are applying Stripe’s developer-centric approach to building the flexible, programmable primitives of commerce that will become the foundation of selling on the internet.Adopting our core of interoperable APIs for modeling and managing products, orders, & fulfillment will allow merchants to rapidly customize and extend every layer in their ecommerce stack. These core models serve both our customers and many other teams at Stripe; they are and will continue to be the foundation for our APIs for the next decade or more. It’s important that we get these APIs right: that we deeply consider the problems they are solving and that we ensure integrating against them is nothing short of an amazing experience.
The Commerce team owns an unusual mix of platform, infrastructure, and user problems. We are looking for technical leaders who are excited to work across these domains, driving the technical vision for how Stripe will both build these foundations and build on top of them to deliver higher-level products for our users.
- Design, build, and maintain APIs that users can rely on for decades
- Work closely with our internal and external customers to understand their needs and deliver surprisingly great products for them
- Ensure our infrastructure is safely extensible, scalable, reliable and meets SLAs for both external and internal users
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Work with engineers & technical leaders across the company to ship interoperable products on strong foundations
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Mentor and guide a rapidly growing, diverse team of engineers
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have previously been in a technical leadership or staff/principal engineer role driving technical work for a large group of engineers
- Have built or implemented large scale ecommerce platforms & products
- Are skilled in gathering and effectively synthesizing user feedback and experience with user facing products and APIs
- Have technically led projects which have involved multiple engineering teams
- Enjoy thinking rigorously about API design and diving deep into the details
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. Languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar for quality when shipping products
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.