Software Engineer - Developer Platform - Online Databases
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Build the database infrastructure for a platform powering economic growth.
Stripe’s Online Database teams are responsible for the two real-time storage technologies used by the rest of engineering: our MongoDB document database and our MySQL transactional database. Our online databases are used by developers across all of Stripe providing our team with the opportunity to have a huge impact on the business.Our Teams Mission
The Developer Platform team’s mission is to serve as a bridge between Stripes’ product teams and its online databases.
We deeply understand the data access needs and patterns of developers at Stripe and partner with them to make it easy to safely, reliably and efficiently access data. We will also use this deep understanding to help inform the work that the other online database teams prioritize and focus on.
Our Measures of Success
For Online Databases, we will measure the success of our work based on its impact on: - Reliability - Throughput - Latency - Efficiency - Developer experience/satisfaction
Our Teams Focus - 2021 and Beyond
2021 and beyond we will be focused on data access best practices. As Stripe has grown, data and data access has also scaled considerably. This rapid growth has resulted in where there are many cases where we are not following, what we consider to be, data access best practices.
Our hypothesis is if data access consistently follows best practices we will improve our measures of success including reliability, latency, throughput etc. To get there we will:
- Define our data access best practices
- Put in place controls enforcing those best practices (where appropriate)
- Provide visibility and observability into where those practices are being followed
- Provide clarity on the positive impact expected by adopting best practices
- Effect change through working with / for product teams to adopt best practices
Ultimately we want to make it easy to do the right things and either impossible or hard to do the wrong things when it comes to data access to our Online Databases.
- Partner with developers across Stripe to build a great customer experience for people using Online Databases
- Turn ambiguous problems that our users are facing into concrete products, from proposal, to kick-off, to building, and launch
- Design, build, and maintain the client libraries used by all of Stripe to access our online databases
- Work across different products, tech stacks, and programming languages
- Create tools and APIs that engineers love to use to understand the performance of and optimize their database queries
This may be a a great role for you if you:
- Enjoy and have experience where your users are other developers. Our team is a bridge between product teams at Stripe and the rest of Online Databases so we will regularly be interacting directly with our customers.
- Are flexible and someone who can do whatever it takes to solve problems across different technologies and problem spaces.
- Are motivated by highly impactful, visible and meaningful work.
- Uses a metrics driven approach and can make informed decisions using data
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.