Credit Strategist, Capital Cards
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Shape the growth of Stripe’s Card program
Stripe is the best software platform for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars every year for hundreds of thousands of businesses around the world. One third of Americans bought something on Stripe in the last year. Stripe’s Banking and Financial Products group is building innovative products that expand the scope of problems we tackle beyond payments and into the rest of the financial stack. With all this data, we are in a position to solve our user’s financing needs and fuel their growth. We’re looking for a talented candidate to join the B&FP Risk Strategy Team, who will help shape the development of the credit and product strategy of Capital Cards, a suite of unique financial instruments to address the financing needs of our users. This role will work closely with our Product, Engineering, and Data Science teams to leverage our existing platforms, integrate industry best practices, and develop novel solutions to underwrite, evaluate and manage credit risk. If you are excited to build a card risk strategy from the ground up, work in a fast growing and dynamic organization and apply your experience to shape the future of Stripe, we want to hear from you.
- Partner with product and engineering leads to shape the foundations of Capital Cards, focusing on profitability and credit/risk strategy
- Work with the engineering and data science teams to architect a credit strategy that approves different segments of users for versions of the product; allowing Stripe to grow with a user as their risk and credit profile evolve
- Implement credit policies based on Stripe’s proprietary data combined with external information and selected industry data to determine eligibility criteria and line assignment
- Explore how we can leverage third party data including bureau, bank account, financial statements and less traditional data in our credit assessment
- Implement a robust account management strategy to identify, manage and apply treatment strategies including line increases/decreases and account closures
- Work with the servicing and collections teams to implement treatment and collection strategies, ensuring we are user-centric but financially responsible
- Monitor the growth of the portfolio to ensure that we are assuming the right level of risk; proactively provide reporting and insight to the leadership team regarding performance and strategies
- Partner across B&FP and global risk teams to determine how Stripe Card factors into the overall total exposure of a user
- Work with the fraud team to implement account and transaction controls for identifying suspicious users
- Work closely with product, business, and engineering teams to use the results of your analyses and forecasts to shape product evolutions
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 7+ years experience in credit analytics and underwriting; including managing credit portfolios and experience working with small business users
- Strong experience working on a commercial card portfolio including end-to-end management of a stand-alone card portfolio
- Ability to influence the decision making process using data and logical reasoning
- Experience working with both internal and external stakeholders and the ability to closely manage expectations and deliverables in a timely manner
- Strong analytical skill set and a rigorous, data-driven approach to problem-solving
- High energy and drive to innovate and evolve products, policies and processes while effectively managing day-to-day processes
- Superior communication and relationship management skills
- Experience in risk management, financial lending or core credit risk management function
- Understanding of payments, small business lending and credit card industry
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured and fast moving organization
- Self starter who can work independently
- Ability to communicate results clearly with a focus on driving impact
- Strong technical expertise, including SQL. Experience with R or Python (optional)
- Advanced degree in statistics, econometrics, operations research, mathematics, engineering, or a related analytical field of study
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry—from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity—which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.