Engineering Manager, Transactional Database Infrastructure
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Build the next generation platform to store Stripe’s online data
The MySQL Infrastructure team is building the next generation of Stripe’s online transactional data. This team is building out a highly available and resilient datastore to meet Stripe’s reliability requirements, while providing a distinct competitive advantage in engineer velocity. We will enable product teams by creating simple abstractions to hide complexities of interacting with the datastore, while also providing best in class durability, availability and security. All while minimizing the MySQL Infrastructure team’s operational toil. This team is also building tools and feedback capabilities to provide Stripe engineers with insight to help make informed decisions regarding costs, availability and performance.We are looking for a manager who is excited about data storage and leading a team to solve challenging distributed systems problems as well as develop partnerships with other Stripe engineers to establish empathy and understand their use-cases.
- Work with engineers and other leaders at Stripe to understand and capture opportunities to better leverage our database platform, providing fault isolation, resource isolation, data locality guarantees, etc
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be a good fit if:
- You have managed teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure, particularly in the open source, transactional database domain
- You have a strong quantitative and analytical background
- You have worked with geographically distributed teams
- You have successfully recruited and built great teams
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You are clear and persuasive in writing and in person
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across engineering to provide a wonderful user experience
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.