Software Engineer II
Vancouver, BC, Canada
We are looking for talented early to mid-career Software Engineers to help us deliver highly scalable services and world-class product experiences.
You will have opportunities to work on multiple layers of the technology stack, ranging from customer-focused user experience work, building scalable distributed cloud services, working with big data, machine learning, and everything in between. You will learn how to design services and experiences that are required to work around the globe. You will collaborate with team members and other engineering groups in Microsoft to build full stack web applications and services using the latest web technologies in a dynamic and agile environment. You will be part of a fun-loving, diverse team that seeks challenges, loves learning and values teamwork. You will have opportunities for mentorship, career growth, and work on high-business impact areas.
Successful candidates will exhibit these broad set of Characteristics to succeed in this position:
• Collaboration - As most development is about working with others, both within an immediate team, as well as across business units and portions of the company, an ability to collaborate effectively is a core competency to have.
• Customer Focus - A focus on delivering customer value and being able to directly tie engineering decisions and actions to that value is a huge plus for successful engineers at any level.
• Drive For Results - Being able to drive for results, not merely finding the boundary of your responsibility, but following a problem through to its conclusion, to solve it once and for all, is a skill and ability which a successful engineer should exhibit.
• Technical Excellence - Core to being a software engineer is of course technical excellence. This is not merely knowing the latest and greatest language developments, but demonstrating a passion for technology, a curiosity to ‘go deep’, and an ability to quickly learn and build upon past experiences, to be able to extrapolate from those experiences, and deliver innovations. Technical excellence is rooted in having a strong demonstrable aptitude for problem solving.
We are looking for candidates who are passionate about building high quality reliable Cloud Service features. As an engineer on our team, you’ll be working on changes to one or more services to meet the growing needs of Microsoft first party and second party solutions. In particular, for a given feature you’ll be expected to meet with stakeholders/PM to get the requirements, document the design and review within the team, implement the design, create unit tests on your changes, manage the flighting of the new feature, and implement additional monitoring and metrics as needed for the feature. In short, you will truly own your feature from start to finish.
- 3+ years of industry software development experience in any Object Oriented coding language, such as C++, C#, Java or Python
- Industry experience in full stack software development, data processing and/or backend services
- BS or MS degree in CS or relevant engineering field OR equivalent work experience
- Strong problem solving, design, coding, and debugging skills
- Cloud and services experience, with Azure cloud experience highly desirable
- Passion for building customer delighting experiences, and highly scalable, highly reliable services
- Experience with or exposure to Agile and iterative development processes
By applying to this position, you are being considered for multiple like positions and Engineering teams across the Vancouver Hub.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.