Senior Product Manager (Payments)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are you an experienced Product Manager with a background building and scaling payments platforms? Do you thrive in a fast paced environment, helping teams build safe and secure systems that are easy to use? Can you define a long-term strategy and empower a team to turn it into something incredible? If you’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
As the Senior Product Manager for the Payments team, you’ll be accountable for leading product development of the risk and fraud systems, payments infrastructure, and user interfaces that allow our customers to process payments on Thinkific. You will collaborate with our customers, Product Management, Engineering, Design, and other departments to design and deliver payments solutions that enable entrepreneurs to create and sell education online.
In this role, you will:
- Work with the VP of Payments and Head of Risk to define and document the short and medium term visions for payments products that enable entrepreneurs to create and sell online courses
- Work with the VP of Payments and Head of Risk to create and define a vision for how our payments products will balance the trade off between thorough risk management and a intuitive user experience and find innovative ways to minimize risk while maximizing usability
- Work with Engineering to find effective ways to document and communicate product visions, translating high level thinking into actionable tasks for engineers
- Work towards acquiring partners, data vendors, and risk tools to design and implement international payment systems and risk processes
- Identify opportunities to use data generated while tenants use Thinkific for low-friction risk management
- Research and fully understand the “why”: identifying themes, customer needs and opportunities for payments and financial services
- Regularly interact with customers and to use data to inform and shape your ideas
- Report progress, planning, and roadblocks to both Product Leadership and Payments Leadership
- Contribute to and help raise the bar on our Product Management team best practices
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have 3+ years of experience delivering technology in the merchant acquiring space related to or including risk and underwriting management
- Have 3+ years experience leading product development projects for SaaS companies
- Demonstrate a good understanding of merchant acquiring risk and the processes used to validate customers and evaluate their risk on an ongoing basis
- Be comfortable leading high-impact product development projects for SaaS companies that improve key metrics for the company
- Have a good understanding of the structure of the merchant acquiring industry, including how card brands, acquirers, issuers, and payfacs work together to deliver payments services
- Have experience working with customers to understand requirements and design products to meet those requirements
- Be capable of describing the vision and purpose for products development projects you have led in the past, including why the company built the product, the key metrics it pursued, and how it impacted customers
- Be capable of documenting requirements for technology partnerships and leading a cross-functional team to evaluate vendors against those requirements
- Be capable of leading product definition and design for integrations with risk tools, and underwriting data providers and payments infrastructure partners
- Be capable of defining product themes that help development team members make decisions when developing products
- Be able to work cross-functionally incorporating feedback from various departments and are able to articulate your ideas and provide clear reasoning and details to backup your decisions
- Be customer-obsessed with a proven history of working with customers, getting into the details, and able to prioritize and ship products successfully in a high-paced environment
- Be detail-oriented, flexible, scrappy, and able to work in, contribute to, and thrive in an ever-changing fast-paced environment
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely attended post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- Are interested in contributing to our product management practices and helping better how our product team works collectively
- Care about building relationships in the payments industry with vendors, partners, and stakeholders
- Have experience working in an Agile workflow
- Can excite and align people around a common goal and advocate for what matters
- Get stuff done—you love to move things forward, creatively work through challenges or blockers, and can make decisions
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience in EdTech, e-Learning, education, digital marketing, MarTech, or Growth
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit—maybe you’ve launched an open-source project, completed a Kickstarter campaign, or created a smartphone app to solve a problem you saw
- Have experience with, or interest in, machine learning and its application to risk processes
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 40,000 course creators and more than 10 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Read What to Expect when Applying at Thinkific to learn about our hiring process (and how we put candidates first!)
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Our team spends time together outside of work, too—we have board game nights, have gone rock climbing, hosted family BBQs, a weekly cookie club (that’s right!), and each year, we host an annual retreat on Gambier Island
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Our office is close to major transit routes, bike-friendly, and centrally located at the intersection of some of Vancouver’s coolest neighborhoods
- Stay fuelled with healthy snacks, free coffee and tea, kombucha, and the occasional Friday beer and cider
- Hang out with the @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Stay fit with subsidized gym access or by joining one of Thinkific’s sports teams
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.