Director of Payment Operations
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are you passionate about building, operating and leading the development of risk systems in a hyper growth environment? Are you a natural collaborator who loves working with development teams? Can you take your vision, empower your team, and turn it into something incredible? If you’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—you’ll find that at Thinkific!
This person will work with Product and Engineering to create, maintain, and execute the policies and procedures that identify trustworthy content and customers with a high level of confidence. In turn, their processes must also identify non-trustworthy content and customers. To do so, this person will both design and operate Thinkific’s risk systems, will build a small team of risk analysts, and will be our primary interface with our acquiring and banking partners for all risk-related issues.
In this role, you will:
- Create and maintain Thinkific’s risk and underwriting policies for underwriting new customers and monitoring existing ones (including the use of machine learning, device forensics, and other modern risk assessment tools)
- Work with Product and Data team members to build our risk and underwriting tools
- Execute the risk and underwriting policies on a day-to-day basis using onboarding, chargeback, and transaction monitoring tools
- Work with the Growth team members to design and execute growth experiments
- Work with the Data Analyst Team to iterate and improve on our risk model
- Hire and lead Risk Analysts as "Thinkific Payments" grows
- Manage inquiries from Card Brands, Acquiring Partners, and Sponsor Banks
- Act as the subject matter expert for all risk-related projects
- Act as the point of contract with ID verification, fraud detection, KYC and AML vendors
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have at least ten years of experience on the underwriting or risk management team of a payment services provider, acquirer, or payment facilitator
- Possess an analytical mindset geared toward mathematics
- Be a strong communicator and confident decision maker, particularly in situations of gravity
- Execute your work diligently. You have a track record of excellence when it comes to "getting the job done" flawlessly.
- Hold an innovative mindset. A “this is how it’s always done in payments” attitude won’t work for us. We need someone who can apply their experience underwriting or risk monitoring in payments to a new business model, a new set of tools for evaluation, and a new mindset around how we view risk.
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Have experience creating or updating risk management policies for payments companies
- Have a background or expressed interest in the elimination of racial, gender, or socioeconomic discrimination
Bonus points if you:
- Previously worked at an ecommerce-focused payments company or payment facilitator
- Have experience applying machine learning models
- Are excited about leading a team of risk professionals
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 40,000 course creators and more than 10 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Read What to Expect when Applying at Thinkific to learn about our hiring process (and how we put candidates first!)
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Our team spends time together outside of work, too—we have board game nights, have gone rock climbing, hosted family BBQs, a weekly cookie club (that’s right!), and each year, we host an annual retreat on Gambier Island
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Our office is close to major transit routes, bike-friendly, and centrally located at the intersection of some of Vancouver’s coolest neighborhoods
- Stay fuelled with healthy snacks, free coffee and tea, kombucha, and the occasional Friday beer and cider
- Hang out with the @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Stay fit with subsidized gym access or by joining one of Thinkific’s sports teams
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.