People Operations Specialist
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are you a people person who loves to support team members to do their best work? Do you have a strong ability to prioritize while maintaining attention to detail? Does the idea of contributing to the experience of team members in a fast-growing, innovative start up excite you? Are you resourceful, outcome oriented and don’t stop until the goal is achieved? If yes, read on!
We are looking for a broadly skilled people-centric professional looking for a growth opportunity and the chance to creatively build an unmatched people operations experience at Thinkific. As a People Operations Specialist, you will help to scale our company effectively by identifying pain points and opportunities at the individual and team level across our organization and focus on solutions that enable us to build for the long term.You will help design and implement people programs that enable and empower our team members to do their best work.
In this role, you will:
- Provide support to our team on a day-to-day basis by responding to emails and Slack messages, and escalating issues to our Talent Development team as needed
- Maintain our internal communications, from our team handbook to our weekly Team Huddles, including sharing changes, improvements and announcements
- Oversee our HR administration function, ensuring our team member records are up-to-date and accurate
- Track vacation and time off requests to ensure our team members are taking time to rest and recharge, and coordinate with team leads to raise any feedback or concerns
- Proactively identify process inefficiencies and inconsistencies and collaborate towards an improved and more productive process that improves our team member’s experiences
- Manage the relocation and immigration process, and liaise with other team members as necessary
- Manage vendors from software and tools to immigration consultants, and other partners that support our business operations
- Maintain a database of software and tools used across the company
- Administer quarterly team engagement surveys, assess strengths and opportunities, and develop results-based action plans with key stakeholders
- Implement and optimize internal engagement and rewards programs alongside the Talent Development team (everything from acknowledging birthdays and anniversaries to developing full-scale recognition systems)
- Establish policies and practices to ensure our distributed team members stay engaged and supported
- Support in onboarding new employees and and continuously iterating processes to maintain a best in class experience for new team members
- Facilitate health and safety compliance and training, short and long term disability leaves, parental leaves and any injury records ensuring WorksafeBC compliance
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Possess 3+ years of experience in an HR or people operations role
- Have a natural tendency to be organized with outstanding attention to detail and ability to prioritize
- Have excellent project management skills, with an ability to manage both small to large scale programs with tight timelines, and work closely with key stakeholders
- Be a few steps ahead of the curve at all times—you should be able to anticipate the needs of the company, executive team and teammates before they even know themselves!
- Have the proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Showcase excellent written and verbal communicator (you’re just as comfortable sending off a carefully planned email to the team as you are having an unscheduled phone call with a software vendor)
- Be outcome-oriented, resourceful and not satisfied with “I tried.” You don’t stop until the goal is achieved!
- Know how to work smarter, not harder— you’d rather invest time in finding tech-based solutions to automate workflows than to stick to how it’s always been done
- Demonstrate humility and introspection—we appreciate the ability to admit mistakes and learn from others
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely attended post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- Have previous experience working at a startup or tech company during high growth stage
- Have above-average technical aptitude or interest in tech and a strong understanding of the latest communication/productivity tools and systems (e.g. Google Suite, Slack, Asana, etc.)
- Have heard of Radical Candor and are on board with giving/receiving feedback in this way
- Are not afraid of change and ambiguity (”Adaptable” is most of our middle names)
- Are excited to jump in and help with anything that comes up as well as solve problems proactively
- Are not afraid to ask for help and have a team-oriented mentality—you feel comfortable working collaboratively and communicating effectively across departments
- Are most productive when given some autonomy—you enjoy being given a challenge and finding your own ways to solve it
- Have successfully identified new opportunities in the People & Culture realm and the resources to execute them, and have examples to prove it
Bonus points if you:
- Have your CHRP designation or other accredited HR certifications (they are nice, but not necessary)
- Have worked at a company that has scaled beyond 250 team members
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 40,000 course creators and more than 10 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Read What to Expect when Applying at Thinkific to learn about our hiring process (and how we put candidates first!)
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Our team spends time together outside of work, too—we have board game nights, have gone rock climbing, hosted family BBQs, a weekly cookie club (that’s right!), and each year, we host an annual retreat on Gambier Island
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Our office is close to major transit routes, bike-friendly, and centrally located at the intersection of some of Vancouver’s coolest neighborhoods
- Stay fuelled with healthy snacks, free coffee and tea, kombucha, and the occasional Friday beer and cider
- Hang out with the @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Stay fit with subsidized gym access or by joining one of Thinkific’s sports teams
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.