Senior Full Stack Engineer (Growth)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are you excited about the chance to experiment and iterate across an entire platform? Do you measure success by the impact your work has on users rather than how much code you’ve written? You bring lots of experience to a team and are motivated to mentor others to help them grow. You’re looking for an opportunity to contribute to an impactful product while being able to work on big ideas—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
As a Senior Full Stack Engineer on the Growth team, you will work closely with your team lead, fellow Growth Engineers, and a Product Designer to find new solutions that accelerate how course creators find value. You will deploy experimental features across our platform and work on new features that accomplish business milestones. You will also investigate, assess and fix bugs or defects within the Thinkific product. As a senior member of our team, you’ll be a valuable source of mentorship and guidance for other members of the Growth and Product teams.
In this role, you will:
- Develop MVP-style experiments that test specific hypotheses on what causes creator success and growth across the application
- Work closely with other Growth developers, designers, and analysts to estimate effort and complexity for proposed experiments and tasks
- Lead projects from conception to completion with a focus on backend development, working with stakeholders to identify project risks and recommend mitigating solutions
- Proactively identify and mitigate bugs by conducting unit, integration, and regression testing
- Mentor junior engineers while performing design and code reviews
- Conduct new technology research, bringing fresh ideas and concepts to bear on product development
- Do what needs to be done. You’ll spend most of the time building MVPs, but you’ll also have the opportunity to flex your other skills (from writing copy to synthesizing cohort data to implementing third-party apps) in order to deliver insights and results
- Share the results of and learnings from your experiments with team members across the company
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have 5+ years of experience in a full stack engineering role
- Have experience with CSS processors such as PostCSS, Sass, or Less
- Possess advanced knowledge of one or more modern server-side programming languages (Ruby, Python, Node, etc.)
- Showcase the ability to design and implement RESTful services
- Believe that writing tests as a part of a feature is not just nice to have, but a necessity
- Be knowledgeable in using Git and related tools like GitHub, GitLab, etc
- Have practical experience with relational databases, SQL and engines like PostgreSQL and MySQL
- Take on tasks and see them through to completion, all without missing a beat
- Have strategic decision making abilities—you think problems through and make smart choices with the best outcome
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely attended post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- Previously worked with Ruby on Rails applications in a production environment
- Have advanced knowledge of modern server-side programming languages (Ruby, Python, Node, etc.)
- Showcase advanced knowledge and experience with modern web frameworks (Ruby on Rails, Django, ASP.NET MVC, etc.)
- Are experienced with web application architecture and web server technologies like Apache, Nginx, ISS, etc.
- Have worked with a team that built MVPs quickly and iterated through experiments
Bonus points if you:
- Can demonstrate intermediate to advanced knowledge of relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Possess advanced knowledge of and experience in data modeling
- Have intermediate to advanced knowledge and experience with cloud-based server infrastructure, particularly AWS
- Previously worked for a fast-growing SAAS-based startup
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 40,000 course creators and more than 10 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Read What to Expect when Applying at Thinkific to learn about our hiring process (and how we put candidates first!)
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Our team spends time together outside of work, too—we have board game nights, have gone rock climbing, hosted family BBQs, a weekly cookie club (that’s right!), and each year, we host an annual retreat on Gambier Island
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Our office is close to major transit routes, bike-friendly, and centrally located at the intersection of some of Vancouver’s coolest neighborhoods
- Stay fuelled with healthy snacks, free coffee and tea, kombucha, and the occasional Friday beer and cider
- Hang out with the @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Stay fit with subsidized gym access or by joining one of Thinkific’s sports teams
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.