Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are you a passionate Controller looking for a fast-paced and rapidly growing SaaS business to make a meaningful impact? You are familiar with ASPE, IFRS and US GAAP and have helped other companies with transformations such as changing financial reporting standards, implementing an accounting system, or handled a merger, acquisition or IPO. You’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
As the Controller at Thinkific, you will lead the growing accounting and financial reporting function of the company by overseeing the financial close process and managing the Finance team, as well as collaborating with other team members in various other tasks such as budgeting, forecasting, and Board reporting. You will continuously identify areas of improvement in processes and controls and implement the necessary changes to ensure the accounting process is efficient and accurate. You will oversee the annual audit and will assist in different projects along the way, from research to implementation.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the accounting function and work closely with our CFO and Director of Finance
- Own and manage month-end and year-end
- Prepare other reporting such as analyzing various SaaS KPI’s or managing and reporting cash
- Manage variance reporting or assist other team members in doing so
- Manage corporate and sales taxes
- Oversee the annual audit
- Oversee payroll administration including salary changes, commission payments, top-ups, and other bonuses within Rise
- Ensure processes, systems, and controls are in place to provide accurate financial and payroll data and reporting
- Assist with quarterly Board/investor reporting
- Assist with other ad hoc projects where necessary as the company grows (e.g. implementation of a new accounting system, sales tax system, etc.)
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Be a designated accountant (CPA) in good standing
- Have at least 4 years of experience in a public accounting firm and have previous controller or assistant controller experience
- Have a strong background with technical accounting (bonus if you have experience transitioning to IFRS or US GAAP)
- Demonstrate experience within a company that has gone through a significant business transformation (IPO, M&A, etc.)
- Have exposure to an implementation of a new accounting system, consolidation, or tax experience
- Have a track record of success leading a happy, high performing team
- Be comfortable reviewing processes and controls, and identifying areas for improvement
- Be organized, resourceful and detail-oriented while being efficient
- Describe yourself as a self-starter, a fast learner, and someone who works well without needing direct supervision
- Not be afraid of change and have a willingness to wear different hats
- Be computer savvy and proficient with Excel
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Have previous experience working with an accounting platform such as Netsuite or Sage
- Audited public and private companies
- Are passionate about accounting best practices and keeping tabs on current industry trends
- Know when to flex your professional skepticism
- Are adaptable and generally take a “not my fault but it is my problem” approach to challenges
- Conduct yourself with a high level of discretion and integrity
- Are tenacious in pursuit of your goals and objectives
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience processing payroll using Rise
- Worked for a public company or have audited them in the past
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 40,000 course creators and more than 10 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Read What to Expect when Applying at Thinkific to learn about our hiring process (and how we put candidates first!)
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Our team spends time together outside of work, too—we have board game nights, have gone rock climbing, hosted family BBQs, a weekly cookie club (that’s right!), and each year, we host an annual retreat on Gambier Island
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Our office is close to major transit routes, bike-friendly, and centrally located at the intersection of some of Vancouver’s coolest neighborhoods
- Stay fuelled with healthy snacks, free coffee and tea, kombucha, and the occasional Friday beer and cider
- Hang out with the @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Stay fit with subsidized gym access or by joining one of Thinkific’s sports teams
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.