Vancouver, BC, Canada
Are you a passionate accounting professional looking to join a fast-paced and rapidly growing SaaS business to make a meaningful impact? Are you familiar with IFRS or US GAAP and have an eye for process improvement and a desire for a streamlined period-end close? You’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
The Assistant Controller will support the Controller in leading the accounting and financial reporting function of the company. You will own the financial close process, identifying areas to improve accuracy and timeliness. Thinkific’s finance function has doubled this year to match the company growth so you will join an accounting function of 4 and be a leader and mentor for our junior non-designated accounting team members.
In this role, you will:
- Support the Controller in leading the bookkeeping and accounting function
- Complete complex and challenging entries for the Controller to review
- Be responsible for overseeing and completing the monthly financial close, supporting the rest of the accounting team
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements along with variance analyses
- Lead tasks related to the annual audit
- Work with the Controller to complete or oversee other tasks such as payroll, Canadian, US and International tax reporting, and various ad hoc projects such as the implementation of accounting systems, improvement of processes, and implementation of controls
- Assist with quarterly Board and investor reporting
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Hold a Canadian CPA and be a member in good standing
- Demonstrate strong technical accounting knowledge of IFRS or US GAAP as well as knowledge of consolidations
- Bring 4+ years experience in a public accounting firm (previous assistant controller experience is a bonus!)
- Hold previous experience leading a team and demonstrate experience with mentorship and coaching
- Have a proven record of reviewing processes and controls to identify areas for improvement
- Be organized and detail-oriented while being efficient—you make sure to dot every “i” and cross every “t”
- Show resourcefulness in finding answers—you work to find solutions and ask questions when you need to
- Lead by being a self starter and fast learner who works well without direct supervision
- Be comfortable with change and show a willingness to wear different hats
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills
- Have experience auditing both public and private companies
- Are passionate about accounting best practices and keep tabs on current industry trends
- Know when to flex your professional skepticism—you’re not afraid to Passionately Debate
- Can be adaptable and generally take a “not my fault but it is my problem” approach—you have never come across a challenge you couldn’t overcome
- Conduct yourself with a high level of discretion and integrity
- Are tenacious in pursuit of your goals and objective
Bonus points if you:
- Worked within a company having gone through a significant transaction such as an M&A, IPO, or significant raise
- Are experienced in the implementation of a new accounting system
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of corporate tax
- Have experience processing payroll
- Previously worked with ERP systems such as Netsuite or Sage
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 40,000 course creators and more than 10 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Read What to Expect when Applying at Thinkific to learn about our hiring process (and how we put candidates first!)
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Our team spends time together outside of work, too—we have board game nights, have gone rock climbing, hosted family BBQs, a weekly cookie club (that’s right!), and each year, we host an annual retreat on Gambier Island
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Our office is close to major transit routes, bike-friendly, and centrally located at the intersection of some of Vancouver’s coolest neighborhoods
- Stay fuelled with healthy snacks, free coffee and tea, kombucha, and the occasional Friday beer and cider
- Hang out with the @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Stay fit with subsidized gym access or by joining one of Thinkific’s sports teams
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.