Vancouver, BC, Canada Remote
Are you an experienced leader who is well-versed in technical architecture looking for a role where you can truly impact product strategy? Do you consider security one of your highest priorities? Are you driven to be a coach and mentor, working with and growing a team of talented architects and engineers? Does the idea of joining a fast-paced and rapidly growing company excite you? You’re looking to do meaningful work, collaborate with incredible people, and be challenged—and you’ll find all of that at Thinkific!
Working with the CTO, the mission of the VP of Engineering is focused on delivering velocity and value in close partnership with our Product Organisation. With a focus on strategy, people and process you will devise the plans to ensure implementation while supporting the continued growth and performance of the engineering team. This is an opportunity to rapidly build and scale a team with true impact and purpose.
In this role, you will:
- Build on a culture of empowerment and success in your team
- Engage in the product roadmap development process by partnering with product management and other functions across the business such as sales, marketing, design, and support with the goal of determining relative priority and order of execution
- Engage in strategic planning by setting annual and quarterly objectives for the Engineering department
- Experience setting high level Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) within the context of the entire Engineering organization
- Articulate strategic direction to the Director of Engineering in order to facilitate day-to-day execution needed to achieve goals
- Work closely with the Director of Design and VP of Product to ensure alignment of efforts
- Drive goals with stakeholders across our organization to build world-class services through productivity and efficiency that aligns with customer value creation and builds a culture of delivering results
- Engage and align top talent through strong recruitment, mentoring, and hands-on software engineering leadership
- Drive recruitment and leveling-up talent on your team by creating a long-term hiring plan to ensure that Engineering is resourced to achieve the goals outlined by the roadmap
- Collaborate with your peers and management to standardize methods and processes across engineering
- Inspire your teams with your in-depth knowledge and understanding of project requirements and business objectives
- Seek development opportunities and mentor team leads to excel and grow in their roles
- Define and consistently report on key metrics around the performance of the Engineering department
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have 10+ years of experience in product development, specifically in a software engineering role
- Demonstrate 5+ years experience leading a software engineering team, ideally managing a team of people leaders and helping to scale the Engineering function
- Have past success working in hyper-growth environments & scaling up operations
- Read our How we build at Thinkific blog and are familiar with Thinkific’s tech stack
- Be experienced with agile development and planning processes
- Have In-depth knowledge of programming languages and product architecture/design
- Be entrepreneurial, love the start-up work ethic and have a propensity towards servant leadership
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills with a record of mentoring team members
- Have experience defining and tracking key Engineering metrics including team velocity and hiring targets
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely attended post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- Have experience working on a SaaS product hosted in the cloud using AWS
- Are comfortable leading a team of more than 100 engineers
- Have a strong background working in high volume web applications
Bonus points if you:
- Have previous experience in the online learning space
- Are familiar with SR&ED and/or IRAP
- Have experience with GDPR / CDPA / SOC2 / CSA Star / PCI
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 40,000 course creators and more than 10 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Our team spends time together outside of work, too—we have board game nights, have gone rock climbing, hosted family BBQs, a weekly cookie club (that’s right!), and each year, we host an annual retreat on Gambier Island
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Our office is close to major transit routes, bike-friendly, and centrally located at the intersection of some of Vancouver’s coolest neighborhoods
- Stay fuelled with healthy snacks, free coffee and tea, kombucha, and the occasional Friday beer and cider
- Hang out with the @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Stay fit with subsidized gym access or by joining one of Thinkific’s sports teams
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish and we welcome you!
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.